Tenacious Gamers

Welcome to the home of Tenacious Gamers, the premier destination for multi-core gamers from around the world. Hardcore at Heart, Casual by Nature. Be sure to register here and join our Discord Community so that you can start gaming the way gaming was meant to be. Fun!

Is Crowfall an MMORPG?

Zorph

Legendary Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
What is an MMORPG? Is Crowfall and MMORPG?

MMORPG - massively multiplayer online role-playing game: any story-driven online video game in which a player, taking on the persona of a character in a virtual or fantasy world, interacts with a large number of other players.

• To me you an MMORPG has a persistent character/persona you play online with a large amount of people.
Last week we talked about Crowfall and some believe it really isn’t a MMORPG. The two main reasons I have heard.

• The world is not persistent. The game is based off of doing campaigns then return to your eternal kingdom. It is not a persistent world you traveling around. This means that people will move into the campaign (instance) and be there for set period of time (1-12 months for example).
    • I can see that this is definitely different than most MMORPG. This is kind of like being in an instance dungeon for months in a PvP situation. During that time it should feel like an MMORPG. But then it ends. When you return you go to your eternal kingdom. To me this is like completing the dungeon
  • The eternal kingdom is your individual little area. From my understanding but haven’t read enough yet. There really isn’t a world you go to hang out.
    • Again this is definitely different. Not sure if they will have a world where people hang out together, maybe someone with more knowledge could talk about it.
    • But this seems to me just like housing in many games but gives you more ability to build it up and have a much bigger area.
  • Horizontal progression. Basically Crowfall/Camelot Unchained both have some vertical progression and give you the option to customize how you play. In general you are doing more horizontal progression. You never will be able to one shot a new player. Also both games are not mean to be grinding games.
    • I do agree that most MMORPG have a very strong vertical progression and getting people on that treadmill is important. Many people feel comfortable and feel they earn it because they were grinding for hundreds of hours. But IMHO that is not required for a game to be an MMORPG

LoanWolf

Rangers > Berzerkers
Honored Mythic Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Crowfall = MOBA at this stage. Just very long matches.

Zorph

Legendary Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
MOBA - Multiplayer online battle arena

If we say PvP=battle and arena = the world players are in, well then all PvP MMORGP are MOBA’s.

Most MOBA’s seem to have creeps and have a win condition to kill their base/s. I don’t see that really fitting Crowfall.

@LoanWolf – I honestly think Crowfall would be a great game for you. In particular guild thrones campaigns were the top guilds get the win condition.

• There will be a ton of guild alignment/partnering/backstapping
  • You could really help the guild by grinding resources/crafting. I bet you could have 3 characters running with one of each PvP, Crafting and Gathering.
  • Completely open world game with destructible bases. Meaning if you went and destroyed your opponent’s fort, it will really hurt them. It is not just a simulated battle.
  • The individual progression were you can be way more powerful than your opponent on an induvial level might ruin it though. Obviously the game play is still alpha so that is another huge concern.

LoanWolf

Rangers > Berzerkers
Honored Mythic Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
There are win conditions in Crowfall though. There is a winner. MMORPGS usually do not have winners. They are continuous. MOBAS have a start and and an end, mmorpgs do not.

LoanWolf

Rangers > Berzerkers
Honored Mythic Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Trust me the idea of Crowfall interests me. I just havent been that hyped for it recently.

Zorph

Legendary Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Most PvP have a win condition. The win condition is usually really short. IE battle grounds, arena or node wars. The win condition for Crowfall is longer IE weeks to a year.

I do agree that the world ending is a huge difference.

LoanWolf

Rangers > Berzerkers
Honored Mythic Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Most PvP have a win condition. The win condition is usually really short. IE battle grounds, arena or node wars. The win condition for Crowfall is longer IE weeks to a year.

I do agree that the world ending is a huge difference.
Revelation Online had a MOBA pvp mode but the game itself wasnt a MOBA. If all Rev offered was a longer version of there pvp moba mode on a large scale it would be a MOBA.

Zorph

Legendary Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
We don’t have the MOBA PvP mode yet. I do agree if all we had is a longer MOBA like they have on the CN client.

Still not understanding Crowfall as a MOBA. The campaign ideas I have heard don’t sound anything like a MOBA. I have heard throne games (guild vs guild), realm game and even king of the hill (I could see calling it survival game in that respect).

Vordel

Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I would say its closer to a MMORTS then a MOBA

Top Bottom