Tenacious Gamers

Welcome to the home of Tenacious Gamers, the premier destination for multi-core gamers from around the world. Hardcore at Heart, Casual by Nature. Be sure to register here and join our Discord Community so that you can start gaming the way gaming was meant to be. Fun!

How to smash skulls against a brick wall or Vanguard 101

Dunther

Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Vanguard

The Vanguard is Revelation Online’s Tank class, you will be a brick wall capable of holding agro while dishing out some pain and suffering to those who would harm your party, you also provide some decent buffs to your party as well, and can be nigh unkillable in pvp. Overall in my many years of mmos I think this is one of the best designed tanks I have had the pleasure of playing, this will be a WIP that will change as more testing is done and I welcome anyone playing a Vanguard to chime in with their own thoughts on this class, as everyone plays a little bit differently the more information the better. (On to the Skills Portion.)

Skills

The First skill I am going to talk about is Benetnash (block stance translation is really wonky right now) This skill right here is your bread and butter for tanking, Increases your Physical Defence and Magic Defence, but slows your movement by 50% this also increases threat generation by 50%

The next skill is called Light Shield

This skill can only be activated in the tanking stance Benetnash or Thunder Benetnash, this skill absorbs damage but you can not move and can only use Heroic Strike while in this, if you hit the button twice or the time ends it will expload dealing a bit of damage.

Next is Heroic Strike

Not much to say about this skill as it is your basic attack it is a small frontal cone attack.

Next is Tornado Spin or Spin to win Button one as I like to call it.

Tornado Spin is your right click it does decent damage in a 360 degree arc and is supposed to cause a bleed, I use this skill as much as I can because who doesn't like spin to win.

Next up is Broken Array.

Broken Array is a hard hitting charged attack that will knock opponents back, it also causes a sunder like effect by weakening the targets that are hit.(It also just looks badass)

Conqueror’s Sweep aka the Pincushion attack

This is one of the heavier attacks the Vanguard has, it causes knockdown and does really good damage but it will root you in place and has a timed cast bar, and does really good damage. (Poke all the things)

Crippling Bolt (Thor God Of Thunder Attack)

This is one of my favorite skills the Vanguard has it does decent damage and leaves a frontal line aoe one the ground that ticks for damage and causes muscle cramps(slow effect possibly needs further testing) this skill also looks really badass as you slam your weapon into the ground and looks like a lightning strike.

Next is Heroic Leap

This is a awesome gap closer and cc, that's right folks it knocks down for 3 seconds when you land as you crush your enemies under your heavy boots.

Now we come to Dragongrip GET OVER HERE!

This skill causes a little bit of damage while interrupting casts and pulling the target to you so you can keep HULK SMASHING thier faces against your shield.

Then there is Vanguard’s Blessing

This is your party wide 10 minute health buff, it gives you 501 health and everyone in the party 250 health.

Wyrmweed

This is a CC break and immunity for 3 seconds nuff said.

Next up is NO FEAR

This is either a DPS or Oh Shit button for 5 seconds, if you are in Hulk Smash stance your damage is drastically increased.(it doesn't seem to be fully translated yet)

On to the SPECIAL SKILLS MERICA!!

First up is the Offensive Skills

Sundering Steel or Captain America Shield Toss

This is a execute skill if the enemy is below 10% by doing 50% MORE damage, that's right folks belittle the enemy even more buy executing them in style, it also causes a 6 second bleed and Muscle cramp for 5 seconds OH YEAH!!!

Next up is Relentless Hurricane SPIN TO WIN FOR DAYS!!!

Hitting this button is not for the scared on timid, THIS IS A 30 SECOND SPIN TO WIN!!!! It causes damage every 0.5 seconds and causes muscle cramps while making you CC IMMUNE!!! You will be come a spinning mass of DOOM I SAY DOOM!!!

Next is Blazing Charge

This is another gap closer that also knocks down but keeps pushing the target in front of you, so drag the mobs and players around I say.

Last but Definitely not least Smite or HULK SMASH

This skill right here will cause your enemies fear while their women will lement you, it causes really good damage every 0.5 seconds knocks down and you are immune to CC!!!!!! AMAZEBALLS!!! So HULK SMASH ALL THE THINGS.

Now for the defensive specials

First up is Lightning Blast THOR ATTACK NUMBER TWO FOLKS

This skill does decent damage and knocks down all enemies around you for 3 seconds(It is okay you can all laugh maniacally)

Then is the humble but awesome Holy Vortex

This skill is a large area cc as well pulls all enimies in a 360 degree area to 1 meter of you and dazes them for 3 seconds, THERE IS NO ESCAPE ONLY DEATH!!!!

Then we have Indomitable Will

A party wide cc break and immunity for 5 seconds, it also paralyzes your enemies for 2 seconds and weakens their attacks for 5 seconds, BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! It also increases the party's ATTACK FOR 5 SECONDS, GET SOME!!!!

And Finally we have Shield Storm

This is the big OH SHIT!! Button that also does damage NEATO!!! It lasts for 10 seconds but has a long cooldown.

Now onto the STATS FOR THE STATS GOD!!!!

You will have three main stats depending on how you want to spec yourself, the first stat is Strength ALL THE DAMAGES!! You get a 1:1 ration for damage and a 10:4 for Force.

Next is Spirit or Magic Defence this will give you HP, Mana, HP recovery, Arcana and Magic Defence.

Then we have Physique this is your main tanking stat as it adds HP, Brawn and Physical Defence.

And there you have it folks the Vanguard a beast of a tank in both PvE and PvP, it is a very well designed tank and does its role very well while being quite fun and well rounded, I will add the morphs for skills after they are translated in our version of the game.

Also look for this in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Great start!!

Jackalope

Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Really nice work Dunther!

After playing all the classes up to 35-40 ish I saved the Vanguard for last and I fell in love. I have tanked for numerous MMO's and I will second that this is one of the best feeling Tank classes I have ever played. The skill kit is on point. The animations are Amazeballs, and being a walking M1A1 Abrahams feels incredible.

Super Energetic Guide, keep it up. If you ever need help with Vangaurd guide stuff lemme know. Always willing to help :)

P.S. Your char looks BEAST!

Cyndir

Ranger RAGE!
Honored Legendary Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
2009 Original Member
Reaction score
Drooling here!

So the threat generation is good? And you can actually kill mobs and other things at a decent rate?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Taedalma

Cookie Monster
Tenacious Gamer
Reaction score
Dragongrip is also absolutely crucial in some dungeon runs. For example, in Grand Bulwark when fighting Gohn, it is need to cancel Dragon Chop (20k massive AOE attack) and Laguna Strike/Blade (instant wipe). Learning to notice bosses' Casting Bars and cancelling them with Dragongrip is absolutely crucial when playing as a VG in order to mitigate overall damage to the team.

Cyndir

Ranger RAGE!
Honored Legendary Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
2009 Original Member
Reaction score
Dragongrip is also absolutely crucial in some dungeon runs. For example, in Grand Bulwark when fighting Gohn, it is need to cancel Dragon Chop (20k massive AOE attack) and Laguna Strike/Blade (instant wipe). Learning to notice bosses' Casting Bars and cancelling them with Dragongrip is absolutely crucial when playing as a VG in order to mitigate overall damage to the team.
I would've assumed that noticing casting bars, as a tank, is second nature.[emoji39]

But in some games the threat generation just sucked against any other dps or you had to have a specific build for it and put those skills in your rotation. And as a general rule, tanks are hard to kill, but take forever to actually kill something.

So I just wondered how the threat gen worked; is it a few skills you have to keep applying or something like the paladins had in WoW had where you could lay down consecration and be done with it? Plz keep in mind I haven't actually played yet. [emoji4] I'm trying to talk myself into joining up.

I'd like to get back to tanking but have been disappointed in the last few games I've played. So a little gun shy here.

Last edited:

Zeklomontu

Here to help
Legendary Gamer
Final Fantasy XIV Director
Final Fantasy XIV Officer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I would've assumed that noticing casting bars, as a tank, is second nature.[emoji39]

But in some games the threat generation just sucked against any other dps or you had to have a specific build for it and put those skills in your rotation. And as a general rule, tanks are hard to kill, but take forever to actually kill something.

So I just wondered how the threat gen worked; is it a few skills you have to keep applying or something like the paladins had in WoW had where you could lay down consecration and be done with it? Plz keep in mind I haven't actually played yet. [emoji4] I'm trying to talk myself into joining up.

I'd like to get back to tanking but have been disappointed in the last few games I've played. So a little gun shy here.

You get an extra tanky stance that increase threat generation. From what I played, it is more than enough. There are taunts as well.

Taedalma

Cookie Monster
Tenacious Gamer
Reaction score
Like Zek said, you have a skill called Benetnash which is your stance skill. All classes have a different stance skill that changes how the character works. For VG, it doesn't change your skills but it puts you into a defensive stance that increases threat generation, slightly decreases overall dps, and significantly increases p.def and m.def. This by itself with some points in strength is enough to maintain agro but your defensive special skills also generate agro as well when used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taedalma

Cookie Monster
Tenacious Gamer
Reaction score
Also, the 50% movement speed reduction in your defensive stance can be removed through Skill Cultivation (@LatestCrowd for the tip). This makes dodging boss skills and running dungeons overall a much better experience.

Demonskyfish

Lives in Shadows
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
i agree

Tsuruchinite

Tenacious Gamer
Reaction score
there's gonna be so many tanks in this guild which is good :) but at the same time, makes me a little sad. lol I know I'm not the greatest tank so competing against other tanks is hard for me lol

Paradigm

Bearded Pirate Instructor
Website Administrator
Honored Mythic Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer
Veteran Member
2009 Original Member
Reaction score
there's gonna be so many tanks in this guild which is good :) but at the same time, makes me a little sad. lol I know I'm not the greatest tank so competing against other tanks is hard for me lol

Our members don't compete against each other ... we just play. You'll be fine. Never too many tanks. Besides, VG in Revelation can lay out some major DPS ... and it wouldn't be the first time we've run a dungeon with 5 tanks

Tsuruchinite

Tenacious Gamer
Reaction score
lol you may think that but if you've ever ran with horrible tanks and then found a good one, you find quickly that you no longer want that crappy one. well that's the situation I'll probably be in, where nobody will want to come near me :)

Shiala

Obssesed with Glam way too much.
Honored Legendary Gamer
Tenacious Gamer
Veteran Member
Reaction score
If we can still go near Zawr we can go near anyone

Top Bottom