Winters Threat

Discussion in 'The Tavern (Roleplay)' started by Enpur, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Enpur

Enpur Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Tolin stoked the embers of the fire pit back to a sputtering of life. The meager flames gave little warmth and even less light. His back against a mighty Lorthain Oak, Tolin reached out with his spark, looking for any kind of life in this sun forsaken winter nightmare. Nothing. He stood and stretched, causing the boiled leathers beneath his fur cloak to creak.
    "One more night of sharpening Elic and eating hardbread," he said to the icy wind. Elic was nearly out of its scabbard when a branch snapped and whipped somewhere behind him. Odd, he thought, as his spark has not sensed anything. He finished drawing Elic and turned. There before him stood............

Next visitor may continue this tale.

Pewterdraconis, Daenerys and Averie like this.
  2. Pewterdraconis

Pewterdraconis Tenacious Gamer

Another traveler in full plate armor and shield up in full defense position. Seems he came to the trail of smoke expecting trouble. The two both stood there ground for a time waiting to see how this would play out. The just arrived intruder spoke first. “Hi, sorry to sneak up on you was looking for a bandit group. You don’t seem to be them. I will lower my shield and cloaks.” The spell concealing him from Tolin was gone not not hindering his spark. “Name is Drac May I come warm by your fire....

@Enpur

Daenerys, Enpur and Averie like this.
  3. Andra

Andra Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Tolin sensed no harm from the intruder. Instead, he let a subtle smile spread across his lips. Holding Elic yet at high, Tolin slowly let the sharp tip waver in a rough circle.

"If I, being of sharp whit and generous heart, were but to come upon such a fire in this forsaken place, I should certainly come bearing gifts. Do you have, …. perhaps fruit or meat you can offer up? No? Have you then secured a load of dry firewood in a fine carriage hidden yonder? Perhaps your wife is behind trees and has a pretty hand maiden to cheer my sights? Or perhaps you are not as vapid as you look and have come to bring stories from afar to take my mind off the endless darkness. What do you offer besides cold steal and frosted breath? Speak fast my homely one, for your blood can warm the air as surely as this waning fire."

4. Pewterdraconis

Drac looked at the fire with such longing. He knew this man could easily kill him. He maybe standing there in full armor but the nuisances of the situation this Tolin could not have guessed in 100 years. He put his shield on his back over his empty scabbard. Cruel jest being in this loose armor and still being helpless. Might as well come clean and pray for the best. “I have nothing sir Tolin, I escaped a bandit group and thought when I first saw your fire you may have been them trying to find me. This armor they put me in to try and sell me as a gladiator. You let me rest and warm and I can hunt us some rabbit but I have nothing else to offer.” Little did Drac and Tolin know this would not be the end of the guests for the evening...

Enpur, Averie and Andra like this.
  5. Daenerys

Daenerys The Mad Queen Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

Tolin, frustration and suspicion growing warm inside him, stepped closer to Drac. "Surely you have some keepsake you wouldn't let them find. I can hunt for myself, and if you're not useful, I'll kill you where you stand." The traveler hesitated, drawing in the crisp air with a long, slow breath to steady himself. Tolin had surely caught him off guard with the threat, and blade ready in his hand. Trying to hide his surprise and his eager longing for the warmth of the fire, Drac noticeably relaxed his body, leaning against the Oak tree in an attempt to show no aggression as he moved to pull up a string around his neck to retrieve a worn leather pouch. He paused briefly to remove his glove, before reaching into the pouch and pulling out five stones.. gems glowing a radiant amber in the light of the fire and warm to the touch.

Tolin relaxed with a smile playing on his lips, "No wonder they were hunting you, Drac the Traveler... who else knows where you are?"

Enpur, Averie, Andra and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pewterdraconis

Drac scanned Tolins face, he knew what these stones were. They were just another item stored away in the bandits camp to him. Something he was able to lift before he put up his cloak spell he used hunting and escaped. At this moment they were the perfect item to get him safely warm. Not much mattered to him then about the real value of this small stones. Thing though was removing the cloak spell had been the worst thing he could do as it masked more than himself but the stones too. Now there power was rippling out to any who could sense. This was the reason Tolin had been so threatening he was picking up the stones without even noticing it.

Drac offered “One stone for a nights rest and full belly.” He knew nothing of what was happening in the trees a small way off a female elf was making a slow silent way to them. She could feel the stones pulling her like a moth to a flame...

7. Andra

Tolin stared briefly at the offered stone.

"Put that away good lad. Can you not see a jest for what it is? Have you lost your humor? You are welcome at my fire, with or without gifts. Sit, warm your mind, for it has been frost bitten as surely as struck by an Attan viper.
    Sit, I say."

Putting Elic away, Tolin lifted a long, flimsy branch of pine needles onto the small fire. It would sputter and smoke terribly, but it was all he had left.
    They sat warming their hands in the pungent flames, occasionally locking eyes. As they sat, each was thinking,...Who is this person?... and why in the name of the gods, is he in this retched place?
    Yet there were no words. The words would come, but first, warmth.

It was then a vision came before them. For out of the cold lifeless trees, a lovely lady trod forth. She was but in a veil as sheer as Zanafer wings, yet shivered not. There was nary a sound,...no snapping twigs at her feet, no rustle of cloth. She moved effortlessly forward, ever closer and closer to them. Neither could speak, lo, for they could only stare. It was as if a common dream existed between them, yet they were helpless to it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Enpur, Averie, Daenerys and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pewterdraconis

Hours had passed...Tolin was the first to start waking. His mind was groggy and his face cold on one side from laying in the dirt. The other side was warm though. He feared to open his eyes as he was not sure if the vision of beauty was still there or more the deep regret filled him thinking she may not be. That thought disturbed him so that a vision had affected him so.

He slowly inches one eye open to see a fire going but with no wood. Just floating in the air a foot off the ground. “So a magic user this does not bode well.” Mumbling to himself. She reply “Yeah lucky for you.”

He decided it’s time to get up and see what is going on. He starts to stand but she stops him saying. “Stay down the enchanting space is only so tall.” He sits and looks up to see a dome over them. “Just a concealment dome, can’t have his pretty stones telling everyone where we are.”

The commotion wakes the sleeping Drac but the mention of the stones keeps him pretending to be asleep. The Elf lady seems to be a good magic user but knows more then Tolin would like without him even knowing her name.

((Someone want to name the female elf will write more on there conversation later if no one beats me to it))

Enpur and Averie like this.
  9. Andra

Frasna'

Enpur and Daenerys like this.
  10. Pewterdraconis

Tolin stares at the dome for a bit not really sure which part to ask first or if this Elf can be trusted. He decides to go chronologically and begins his questions about what knocked him out. “Who was that ... beautiful vision that I saw right before I think I was knocked out?” It rubs him the wrong way calling her beautiful but nothing else seems like even a close enough word. Even beautiful seems to pale in comparison.

The Elf looks at him with disgust. “Don’t you think proper introductions are in order. I mean did you grow up with wild animals.”

Tolin looks taken back. He was so focused on the image of the lady from before he forgot himself. “Sorry my name is Tolin and our sleeping friend over there calls himself Drac. Didn’t mean to be rude to you my lady.” The last line was dripping with such disdain.

“Frasna’ is my name. About the vision you saw it was a Rodel-Faire and it was lucky I found you. Those spirits don’t belong in this world anymore. I drove it off. With this dome they won’t find you two for now.” She studied Tolins face to see if the spirit had full sway over him. Worried she had been to late to really save him.