Tart's Extensive TV Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Music, Movies & Books' started by TartFlavor, Mar 16, 2017.

1. TartFlavor

TartFlavor At least I'm not Loanwolf Website Administrator Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

So for the last ~6 months or so I've had some spare time on my hands, and being the useless fuck I am I've spent most of it watching random crap on Netflix/Amazon Prime. Because I don't want to flood the forums with individual recommendations I'm just gonna stick all of them in here. Order is alphabetical caz I'm bad at picking favorites, but I would recommend all the shows on this list. For the super-lazy, my 10/10s are: Mr Robot, Daredevil, Galavant, Luther, Stranger Things, and The Night Manager.

3%
    Where to watch: Netflix
    Genres: SciFi, Dystopian
    Episodes: 1 season, 8 episodes
    TartScore: 7/10
    Description: A Brazilian hunger-games-ish show, where once citizens of a city reach 18 years old they're allowed to compete for a chance to live in a "perfect" city. Gets pretty dark pretty fast.

A Young Doctor's Notebook
    Genres: Historical, Doctor
    Episodes: 2 seasons, 4 episodes each
    Actors: Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Jon Hamm
    TartScore: 8/10
    Description: Follows a young medical doctor sent to rural Russia during the Russian Civil War. The young doctor is constantly arguing with the older version of himself. Somewhat humorous, but also pretty disturbing.

American Crime Story: The People v O.J. Simpson
    Genres: Historical, Drama
    Episodes: 1 season, 10 episodes
    Description: A very accurate portrayal of the infamous OJ Simpson trial. Amazing acting.

The Americans
    Where to watch: Amazon Prime
    Genres: Spy, Historical?
    Episodes: 4 seasons (+1 airing), 13 episodes each
    Description: The show follows two KGB spies living in America during the cold war. It's interesting how they deal with having a normal family and fit in with American society.

Better Call Saul
    Genres: Drama
    Episodes: 2 seasons, 10 episodes each
    Description: A prequel to Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul manages to differentiate itself well enough from the series it's based on while retaining the feel. Would highly recommend to any fans of Breaking Bad. Still haven't got around to watching the second season.

Black Mirror
    Genres: SciFi, Episodic
    Episodes: 3 seasons, 3-6 episodes each
    TartScore: 9/10
    Description: Episodic sci-fi show, each episode is set in an entirely different world. Mostly a satire of modern-day society.

BoJack Horseman
    Genres: Comedy, Animated
    Episodes: 3 seasons, 13 episodes each
    Actors: Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Will Arnett (Arrested Development)
    Description: Follows a washed-up actor with clinical depression, who also happens to be a horse. Surprisingly dark for an animated comedy.

Broadchurch
    Genres: Crime, Drama
    Episodes: 2 seasons (+1 airing), 8 episodes each
    Actors: David Tennant (Doctor Who), Olivia Colman
    Description: British crime show set in southern England following two detectives attempting to solve the murder case of a young boy in a small, close-knit community. Pretty dark, and very very tense. Olivia Coleman's acting is fantastic.

The Crown
    Genres: Historical, Drama
    Actors: Matt Smith (Doctor Who)
    Description: Follows a young Queen Elizabeth as she takes the throne of England. Matt Smith's portrayal of Prince Philip is flawless.

Daredevil
    Genre: Action, Superhero
    Episodes: 2 seasons, 13 episodes each
    TartScore: 10/10
    Description: Part of Netflix's Defenders series, Daredevil is probably my favorite of the shows/movies based on Marvel's works. Set in Hell's Kitchen NYC and follows a blind crime fighter. Has my favorite Marvel villain, Wilson Fisk (Kingpin) and deals mostly with organized crime.

Dark Matter
    Genre: SciFi
    Description: Probably the closest thing to Firefly since it was cancelled. Cheesy as hell, but in a good way.

The Expanse
    Genres: SciFi
    Episodes: 1 season (+1 airing), 10 episodes each
    Description: Space show mostly dealing with political tensions between Earth, Mars, and a group of people living on a space station. Can be a little over-dramatic at times, but surprisingly not very cheesy which I find is pretty common in space shows.

Galavant
    Genres: Fantasy, Comedy, Musical
    Episodes: 2 seasons, 8/10 episodes each
    Description: I was really hesitant to watch a musical show, but it turned out awesome. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Cheesy but it works amazingly for the show.

Goliath
    Where to watch: Amzon Prime
    Genres: Drama, Lawyer
    Description: Pretty unoriginal plot featuring a washed-up lawyer, but amazing acting makes this show worthwhile.

Humans
    Episodes: 1 season (+1 airing), 8 episodes each
    Description: SciFi show about robots growing sentient. Can be a bit cheesy at times, but the overall plot is pretty interesting.

Jessica Jones
    Genres: Action, Superhero
    Episodes: 1 season, 13 episodes
    Actors: David Tennant (Doctor Who)
    Description: Although still enjoyable, this was my least favorite of Marvel's Defenders series. Less action-y and more psychological then Daredevil and Luke Cage. Jessica Jones follows an ex-superhero trying to get out a a bad relationship (to put it lightly) with a man who has the power to mind control people. It's worth watching for David Tennant's Killgrave.

Legion
    Where to watch: FX
    Genres: Action, SciFi, Superhero, Psycological
    Episodes: 1 season (airing), 6 episodes out
    Actors: Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation)
    TartScore: 9.9/10
    Description: Only reason I'm not giving this a ten is because it's not complete and still has room to go downhill. As is, it's simply amazing. I was hesitant to even put superhero as a genre because the feel of the show is so different from typical superhero shows/movies. It's interesting to see a protagonist with such serious mental issues. Aubrey Plaza is amazing.

Luke Cage
    Genre: Action, Superhero
    Episodes: 1 season, 13 episodes
    Actors: Mahershala Ali (Moonlight, House of Cards)
    Description: Another great Marvel Defenders show put out by Netflix. A lot of emphasis on race in NYC.

Luther
    Genre: Crime, Detective
    Episodes: 4 seasons, 2-6 episodes per season
    Actors: Idris Elba (Beast of No Nation, Pacific Rim)
    Description: A crime show following a detective dealing with some mental issues that doesn't play by the book. Amazing acting, amazing plots, all around the best detective show I've ever seen. It even has an RPG episode - I won't go into any more detail on that though caz of spoilers.

Mr Robot
    Genres: Psycological Drama
    Episodes: 1 season (+1 not on prime), 10 episodes each
    Actors: Rami Malek
    Description: Really interesting series about a hacker with severe social anxiety trying to bring down a huge corporation. One of the best shows I've ever seen, enjoyed it so much I marathoned the whole first season in a day.

Narcos
    Genre: Crime, Drama, Biography
    Episodes: 2 seasons
    Description: The fairly chilling tale of Pablo Escobar's reign in Columbia. The show cuts in certain parts for dramatic effect, but a lot of it is based on fact - it'll even cut in actual footage/photographs from the time.

The Night Manager
    Genre: Drama, Spy
    Episodes: 1 season (miniseries), 6 episodes
    Actors: Tom Hiddleston (Loki), Hugh Laurie (House), Olivia Colman (Broadchurch)
    Description: A hotel night manager trying to get revenge against an international arms dealer. Hugh Laurie plays a fantastic villain.

Sherlock
    Genres: Crime, Drama, Detective
    Episodes: 4 seasons, 3 episodes each
    Actors: Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange), Marin Freeman (The Hobbit)
    Description: You've probably heard of this one so I won't go into detail, modernized take on Sherlock Holmes.

Sneaky Pete
    Genres: Crime, Drama
    Episodes: 10
    Description: A fun heist show about a con man fooling a family into believing he's their grandson, who was previously his cellmate in prison. The show ends up dealing with some more complex/darker themes.

Sense8
    Episodes: 13
    Description: Eight people living in all parts of the world suddenly become connected, being able to communicate with one another and even take control of each others bodies. Some of the footage of Iceland and India are simply beautiful. Created by the Wachowskis (The Matrix). Has some very graphic sex scenes.

Stranger Things
    Description: There's already a thread for this, go read that.

Westworld
    Where to watch: HBO
    Genres: SciFi, Action
    TartScore: 8/19
    Description: About a theme park filled with automatons who believe themselves to be humans, living in the wild west. Based on the 1980 series by Michael Crichton.

Feel free to ask me or argue with me about any of the shows here. There's a few more shows I've seen recently, that I both liked and disliked, that I've decided to exclude for various reasons. Some of these: Rick and Morty, Travelers, The Flash, House of Cards, Game of Thrones and some more that I can't remember.

Within, Zeklomontu and Averie like this.
  2. TartFlavor

TartFlavor At least I'm not Loanwolf Website Administrator Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

Oh god that's more than I though. (Almost) All of this is within the last six months. I watch too much TV.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Averie likes this.
  3. LoanWolf

LoanWolf Rangers > Berzerkers Mythic Gamer Ashes of Creation Chapter Lead WoW: Classic Chapter Lead Veteran Member

I give this thread an 8/19

4. TartFlavor

Figured I might as well update this...

An Idiot Abroad
    Genres: Idk
    Episodes: 2 Seasons (7 + 3)
    TartScore™: 7/10
    Description: This is like... just really stupid. But also hilarious.

House of Cards
    Genres: Drama
    Episodes: 5 Seasons, 13 episodes each
    TartScore™: 8/10
    Description: I think I left this one off the original list because I got bored of it midway through season three and quit watching. However, seasons 4 & 5 really pick up and it was definitely worth going back to.

The Defenders
    Genres: Superhero/Action
    Episodes: 8
    Description: Better than Iron Fist, but not as good as the other three Netflix Marvel series. The villains just seem far less developed and interesting than in the previous series, but the protagonist are still good.

The OA
    TartScore™: 6/10
    Description: To be honest I don't even really remember this show too well even though I watched it recently. It is intriguing and enjoyable overall, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a solid conclusion.

UPDATED SINCE LAST POST
    (additional seasons):
    BoJack Horseman - 9/10
    Broadchurch - 10/10
    Dark Matter - 7/10
    Legion - 8/10
    Narcos - 9/10
    Sherlock - 9/10
    Sense8 (cancelled) - 7/10
    Stranger Things - 10/10

NOT RECOMMENDED: Iron Fist, Ozark, The 100

5. Averie

Averie Averie#1956 - Add me! Website Administrator Mythic Gamer Veteran Member

The OA was awesome! Can't believe you weren't pulled in by it.
    It had me on the edge of my seat.
    I can't think of anything else I've watched recently that I enjoyed more.

6. TartFlavor

I kinda feel like a lot of it was just suspense for the stake of suspense, and that it built up a lot of stuff that was unimportant. I still enjoyed it overall though, think I binged it in a day.

7. TartFlavor

Been a while since I've updated this... let's get a few new ones on here.

Altered Carbon
    Genre: Cyberpunk
    Description: Classic cyberpunk. Has an awesome animatronic Edgar Allen Poe. The show's a bit slow at times, but the story is good and the aesthetic is great.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Where to watch: Hulu (I think?)
    Genre: Comedy
    Episodes: 5 seasons, 22/23 episodes each
    Notable actors: Andy Samberg, Terry Crews
    TartScore™: 9/10
    Description: Just a hilarious sitcom with a fantastic cast. If you're a fan or Parks and Recreation or The Office you'll enjoy this - it's co-created by Michael Schur (Mose in The Office) who created those shows as well.

Community

Where to watch: Somewhere? (I saw on DVD)
    Episodes: 6 seasons, 13-25 episodes each
    Notable actors: Joel McHale, Donald Glover, Alison Brie (GLOW), Chevy Chase
    Description: Just a great sitcom with a star-studded cast created by Dan Harmon (Rick & Morty). Been meaning to watch this one for some time, flatmate had the full show on disc so I finally got an opportunity. The show starts to bleed cast members in around the fourth season but still pretty solid up till the end.

The End of the F***ing World
    Genre: Black Comedy
    Description: A 17 year old psychopath decides it's time to kill a human and gets a girlfriend with the intention of murdering her. The acting in this is on point, as is the humor. It's a very British show and not a long watch (went through it in an afternoon), would highly recommend.

Fargo
    Where to watch: Was on Amazon and Netflix in the UK. Not sure where you can find it here, but I seem to remember seeing it on Amazon recently.
    Genre: Crime Drama / Black Comedy
    Episodes: 3 seasons, 10 episodes each
    Notable actors: Martin Freeman (The Hobbit, Sherlock), Billy Bob Thornton
    TartScore™: 9.5/10
    Description: This may be the best american crime show I've ever seen. I actually only saw the first season of this, but it was absolutely fantastic. It's an anthology so the second and third seasons are completely different casts/plots, but I've heard they're just as good if not better than the first season. Also Martin Freeman with a Minnesota accent just makes me giggle.

Friday Night Dinner

Where to watch: Netflix UK?
    Episodes: 5 seasons, 6 episodes each
    Description: Very British low-budget sitcom. Short episodes good for some easy laughs. Netflix only had the first 2 seasons so I haven't seen all of this one.

GLOW
    Genre: Comedy/Drama
    Notable actors: Allison Brie (Community), Marc Maron
    Description: Absolutely hilarious yet still pretty touching at times. Just watch it.

The Good Place

Notable actors: Kristen Bell
    TartScore™: 7.5/10
    Description: The show follows Eleanor (Kristen Bell) who wakes up in "The Good Place" AKA heaven following a mixup about who she is. A fairly sweet comedy show, created by Michael Schur of The Office and Parks and Recreation.

Happy Valley

Genre: Crime drama
    Episodes: 2 seasons, 6 episodes each
    Description: British crime shows are always so fucking dark. If enjoy Broadchurch you'll probably like this as well.

HarmonQuest
    Where to watch: VRV
    Notable actors: Dan Harmon
    Description: I'm kinda a sucker for D&D, so this was pretty enjoyable. Basically just a D&D game with a bunch of celebrity guests (like Aubrey Plaza) in front of a studio audience. The show swaps between live studio and animation and has some pretty hilarious moments.

Inside Number 9

Where to watch: Hulu
    Genre: Black Comedy
    Description: A black comedy anthology, some episodes are so-so while some are amazing. Basically Black Mirror without the scifi and low-budget.

The League

Where to watch: ???
    Episodes: 7 seasons, 13 episodes each
    TartScore™: 5/10
    Description: Not at all a good show, but still funny for some cheap laughs. Just watched this on my phone while playing civ. Crude to the point where it's annoying at times.

Mindhunter
    Genre: Crime drama
    Description: The show follows the true story of the FBI's first serial killer unit, trying to understand the minds of America's worst killers. The show is extremely interesting, but gets pretty disturbing at points especially as all the murders the show covers are real. Also can be pretty graphic at times.

Peaky Blinders
    Genre: Historical crime drama
    Episodes: 4 seasons, 6 episodes each
    Notable actors: Cillian Murphy (Inception, Dunkirk)
    TartScore™: 8.5/10
    Description: A terrific crime drama set in 1920s post-WWI Birmingham, England. The show follows a gypsy street gang on the rise. The show is somewhat reminiscent of Breaking Bad in my opinion, and explores a really interesting time period.

Plebs
    Where to watch: Hulu
    Episodes: 4 seasons, 6-8 episodes each
    Description: A fairly crude low-budget British comedy show set in ancient Rome. Not really anything special, but a pretty amusing watch.

The Punisher

Genre: Superhero
    Notable actors: Jon Bernthal (The Walking Dead)
    Description: Definitely the most violent of Marvel's recent Netflix shows. If you want to see some awesome shootouts this is your show. Also apparently Jon Bernthal went to school where I grew up... so that's cool I guess.

Star Trek: Discovery

Where to watch: CBS All Access
    Genre: SciFi
    Episodes: 15
    Notable actors: Sonequa Martin-Green (The Walking Dead)
    Description: Okay so this is simply fantastic. An extremely good modern Star Trek. The main character is absolutely amazing, definitely recommend trying to watch this.

Who is America?
    Where to watch: Showtime
    Genre: Political Satire
    Episodes: 1 (airing)
    Notable actors: Sacha Baron Cohen
    TartScore™: ?/10
    Description: Only the first episode of this has aired so far but I'm extremely hype. Sacha Baron Cohen's signature comedy is absolutely perfect for mocking American politics. Going by the amount of politicians that have preemptively issues statements in anticipation of this show, I expect it's going to be quite a ride. Could definitely see this being a career-killer for some who appear in it. It's kinda interesting how he really isn't making fun of average Americans, at least in the first episode all the regular people he does interviews with (conservative/liberal) are some of the nicest people ever.

UPDATED SINCE LAST POST (additional seasons):
    Black Mirror - 9/10
    The Crown - 8.5/10
    The Expanse - 8/10
    Humans - 7/10
    Jessica Jones - 9/10
    Luke Cage - 8/10

8. LoanWolf

LoanWolf Rangers > Berzerkers Mythic Gamer Ashes of Creation Chapter Lead WoW: Classic Chapter Lead Veteran Member

Ive been really enjoying Comedians in Cars getting Coffee. I dont really know why. Its just been enjoyable to have in the background. Also unbreakable kimmy schmidt hits you with a rapid fire about of jokes. Not all land, but some that due have made me burst out laughing.

9. TartFlavor

May as well update this...

American Vandal
    Genre: Comedy, Mockumentary, "Crime"
    Episodes: 2 seasons, 8 episodes each
    Description: A parody true crime documentary about a high schooner who got expelled for drawing dicks on things. Think "Making a Murderer" but with more penis. Enjoyed this way more than I thought I would.

Barry
    Where to watch: HBO
    Genre: Dark Comedy
    Episodes: 2 seasons, 8 episodes each
    Notable actors: Bill Hader (SNL), Henry Winkler (Happy Days)
    Description: Bill Hader plays an assassin who's sick of being an assassin. Bill Hader just won an Emmy for this, with good reason.

Big Mouth
    Notable actors: Nick Kroll (The League), John Mulaney (SNL), Fred Armisen (SNL), Maya Rudolph (SNL)
    Description: Another crude animated show on Netflix. Heavily focused on puberty and teenage romance, coming of age.

Crashing (UK)
    Episodes: 1 season, 6 episodes
    Description: Comedy-drama following over-the-top characters living in an abandoned hospital. Not much too this but funny at times.

Derry Girls
    Description: Follows schoolgirls during The Troubles in Derry, Ireland. Can be cheesy but also hilarious.

The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann
    Genre: True Crime
    Description: Very interesting, very fucked up, but could have been done in half the episodes. God is this slow.

Disenchantment
    Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
    Notable Cast: Eric Andre
    Description: Matt Groening's (The Simpsons, Futurama) worst show yet. Went to watch the second season and realized I couldn't remember anything of the first one. Funny while watching but forgettable.

Evil Genius
    Where to watch: Neflix
    Episodes: 4
    Description: Follows an incredibly weird and elaborate plan to rob a bank. Some great investigative work done with the documentary.

The Fall
    Genre: Crime, Drama
    Notable actors:
    Description: Another British crime show about fucked up serial killers. This one is particularly hard to watch, I actually still haven't watched the second season because it was a lot.

The Good Place
    Where to watch: Netflix/NBC
    Episodes: 3 seasons, 12 episodes each
    Notable actors: Kristen Bell, Ted Danson
    Description: Solid comedy, pretty formulaic and campy but still fun. The overall story is cheesy as hell but dialog is really witty at times.

Making a Murderer
    Description: Have only watched the first season of this one. It's interesting, and pretty damn fucked up, but at times feels like the filmmakers have a bit of an agenda. Looking into it, it does seems some parts of the case were excluded from the series.

Portlandia
    Episodes: 8 seasons, 10/11 episodes each
    Notable actors: Fred Armisen (SNL), Carrie Brownstein
    Description: Good sketch show but gets repetitive. Not a great one to binge but works well to break up other series

Sex Education
    Genre: Comedy, Drama
    Description: Teen coming-of-age show that's surprisingly good.

Shetland
    Where to watch: ??? (dropped from Netflix)
    Genre: Crime, Drama
    Episodes: 5 seasons, 26 episodes total
    Description: Another British crime drama, set in the Shetland Islands. Landscape makes for a really pretty show.

The Sopranos
    Where to watch: Amazon
    Genre: Crime, Mafia
    Episodes: 6 seasons, 13 episodes each (21 in season 6)
    Notable actors: James Gandolfini (True Romance), Edie Falco (Oz), Lorraine Bracco (Goodfellas)
    Description: Took this one slow (took me a couple years) but I fucking loved it.

The Staircase
    Description: Follows the trial of novelist Michael Peterson, accused of murdering his wife. The documentary provides an incredibly intimate look at the defendant and his family, and follows the case basically from day one. Offers a very in-depth look at the legal system. While the documentary crew is closer with the Petersons than the other side, it does a pretty decent job of staying objective.

Top Boy
    Genre: Drama, Crime
    Description: Decent crime show following British street dealers. Story isn't anything special but the acting is incredible.

The Umbrella Academy
    Genre: Superhero, Drama
    Episodes: 1 season
    TartScore™: 6.5/10
    Notable actors: Ellen Page
    Description: Kinda has a Watchman vibe to it with the "fucked up" superhero vibe as well as the wasted potential of the source material. Honestly I'll watch anything with Ellen Page in it.

White Gold

Genre: Comedy, Drama
    Notable actors: Ed Westwick (Children of Men, Gossip Girl), James Buckley (The Inbetweeners)
    Description: Set in 80's Essex and follows an immoral double-glazing windows salesman. Absolutely fantastic, Ed Westwick's fast-talking character is hilarious.

Wild Wild Country
    Genre: Documentary, True Crime
    Episodes: 6
    Description: Follows one of the strangest stories ever, about an Indian guru who formed a large community (cult) in Oregon. Absolutely fascinating, though the show is a bit slow and misses a few details.

The Wire
    Genre: Crime
    Episodes: 5 seasons, 10-13 episodes each
    Notable actors: Dominic West (True Blood, 28 Days), Idris Elba (Luther, Thor, American Gangster), Literally so many other people
    Description: This show made so many careers, with good reason. Possibly the best crime show ever.

UPDATED SINCE LAST POST (additional seasons):
    Black Mirror - 9/10
    BoJack Horseman - 9.5/10
    Daredevil - 7.5/10
    GLOW - 9/10
    Mindhunter - 8/10
    Narcos/Narcos: Mexico - 9/10
    Peaky Blinders - 9/10
    Stranger Things - 8.5/10

CURRENTLY WATCHING:
    The Boys
    Good Omens
    Mad Men
    The Spy

NOT RECOMMENDED:
    Another Life - Holy crap the acting is bad and the writing is even worse. I was optimistic because of the cast, but do yourself a favor and give this a miss.
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace - Whoever thought doing a true crime show in reverse chronological order was a good idea is an idiot.
    Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes - Whoopie they got some new tapes. If you don't know Bundy at all this might be okay, but honestly the series is pretty dull. There's not much content to it.
    Shameless - I guess I'd recommend the first two seasons but it gets stale fast.

Mishi likes this.
  10. Blackadder

Blackadder Tenacious Gamer

Good to see Peaky Blinders get a mention. I'm currently knocking through Series 5 episodes.