PvE Kinetic (early game)

Discussion in 'The KENETIC' started by Kinson, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Kinson

Kinson Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

There is already a great endgame raid build for the Kinetic from RU OBT, courtesy of Wyck. (It is linked somewhere in this forum already and I will create a separate thread for it in this sub forum.) I am putting this together based on my early experiences with the Kinetic as of ~14k prestige. As for how this build will change as I move into mid-game, I can see the addition of new symbols but the talents and skills being used will remain the same for the immediate future.

Abilities
    LMB - Kinetic Pulse (tap)
    RMB - Sledgehammer Strikes (only)
    1 - Energy Wave
    2 - Gravity Anomaly
    3 - Luminous Burst
    4 - Sledgehammer
    Z - Gravity Trap
    X - Chain Gravitation
    C - Protective Shield
    V - Quantum Collapse

Talents
    Quiescence
    Isolation
    Steamroller
    Centrifuge
    Principle of Inertia
    Bouncer
    Quantum Collapse (not sure why they have a skill and talent with the same name!)
    Protective Circuit

Symbols (current)
    Paladin
    Maximum Recoil x2
    Element of Surprise
    Impulse Intensity
    Ultimate Strength

Temples
    Crushing Blow x2
    Critical Chance x2
    Accuracy x2

Stats
    Focusing on Strength and Luck, as with many dps builds.

Amulets
    Increased Quantum Collapse damage

Rings
    Strength and Luck w/ Crit Chance and Accuracy Bonus

Rationale
    This build has proven to be quite effective for clearing PvE content solo with some minor exceptions. (There are still occasions where I'll flip to Paladin if a particular boss is giving me trouble.) It is versatile enough to handle large mob groups (multiple triple-diamonds), sword/shield/triangle groups, and bosses.

For group pulls: (both triple-diamonds and sword/shield/triangle groups)

Gravity Anomaly > Gravity Trap (skip on triple-diamond only groups) > Chain Gravitation x3 > Luminous Burst
    -or-
    2, Z, X, X ,X, 3

A popular variation on this has a LMB tap used prior to the Chain Gravitation x3 spam. The idea is to use the impulse charge with LMB, then get the bonus damage from Quiescence on all 3 Chain Gravitation attacks. I opted to omit the LMB in favor of getting the impulse damage bonus on the first Chain Gravitation (that would be impulse damage hitting up to 16 mobs once or up to 8 mobs twice!), then using the Quiescence bonus on the remaining 2 Chain Gravitations. Quite honestly, I need to test which outputs more damage.

For solo mobs: (works for bosses as well, although Gravity Trap becomes a damage mitigation skill)

Quantum Collapse > Gravity Anomaly > Sledgehammer > Kinetic Pulse > Gravity Trap > Sledgehammer Strike spam until buff wears off (usually 8 or 9) > Quantum Collapse until out of Energy > Kinetic Pulse spam to regen energy for another cycle
    -or-
    V, 2, 4, LMB, Z, RMB spam, V spam, LMB spam

If I'm fighting a boss I skip the Gravity Trap as it lets me get in an extra Sledgehammer strike before the buff wears off. I am also more mindful of conserving some energy for Protective Shield and Gravity Trap for damage mitigation on longer fights.

I have yet to test this build in a group setting as I have always ended up tanking 5-mans up until this point. You'll notice I really don't rely on LMB (much) or the Stone Projectile RMB (at all) with this build.

An IMPORTANT note on PvP!!!
    I have played this build in FFA and group PvP. It was fun and I enjoyed the variety of skills I could effectively employ (especially in team settings). However...

This is not the build you are looking for. I repeat, this is NOT the build you are looking for! First and foremost, the Kinetic has a shitload of talents specifically geared towards PvP, none of which are included in this build! Secondly, I am much more inclined to run a pure ranged build in PvP, using the absolutely deadly Gravity Anomaly > Gravity Trap > Rockfall combo to obliterate opponents from across the map. @grouchy is working on an impulse burst damage build that looks to utilize this skill combo. In this case, your ring selection would probably switch more towards valor/spirit to instagib opponents (or come damn close to it) and bring on the nerf cries.

Thankfully, Sparks of Transformation are plentiful and you can change builds at will as long as you have a good supply on hand.

That's all for now. Questions/comments/suggestions are welcome!

2. Drenx

Drenx Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

i have not unlocked sledgehammer yet but playing around i found that you can almost skip the gravity trap animation if you hit the next skill right after the z press.
    also i noticed that in most cases the Chain Gravitation skill along with the talent for it will pretty much kill all low hp packs as it can crit hard the most i have got it to do is 5k to each on a pack of 6 mobs my chance is high though i have 25% right now

3. Praqzis

Praqzis Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Good start! Thanks Kinson. Apologies before hand as this response turned into a Wall of Text :p. These are all comments re: PvE.

I would not recommend skipping the Gravity Trap on bosses. Though it doesn't immobilize them, it still guarantees all your sledgehammer attacks will be crits _and_ reduce incoming damage by 50%. The crits are going to impart a lot more damage than the extra sledgehammer strike. Also, if you have Lacerated Wounds (a must have symbol for any crit build :p), then each crit can also impart a DoT equal to your luck.

Essentially, Gravity Trap becomes a "free guaranteed crits" button, so you will not need to build up as much crit chance as other builds (and free up more space for more accuracy, crushing blow or even temper perhaps).

Impulse Intensity symbol won't really be doing anything for you either. Impulse Intensity increases your impulse damage which is sourced from Spirit. When you are building Strength/Luck like you are here, you will have practically no impulse damage. So doubling it won't do anything impactful. For survivability and with minimal symbol slots, I'd rather do Impulse Barrier or the shield-on-dash symbol.

Eventually, you will also want to get Impact (same location as Lacerate Wound but on the way to Knight instead of Witch). Critical Hits stun enemies for 1.5s. That's where I'm headed next at least.

I've noticed that if you are spamming LMB, you want to be very cognizant of where you are at in charging your impulse charge. It's very easy to accidentally trigger an Impulse Charge with the way Skyforge queues up actions. If you fully charge your LMB, it will impart 3 stacks instead of 1 on the enemy and it won't activate Impulse Charge.

You also want to be careful about how much you spam Quantum Collapse. I wouldn't spam them until out of resources because then you will have a lot of lost DPS potential as you are waiting for your resources to continue refilling when sledgehammer and gravity trap are already off cooldown. A full sledgehammer cycle with buffs will take around half of your total resources so you don't want to get yourself too low.

Loving Kinetic so far. Such a fun class to play :). Once I get the rest of the talents, I'm also going to be trying a Stone Spear build (as most of your damage is imparted in one Stone Spear vs. 8-10 sledgehammer attacks. Some bosses have mechanics that make it very hard to get in all your sledgehammer attacks which can make it a net DPS loss when soloing as compared to Stone Spear build. You can also stay out of melee range with Stone Spear :p.

4. Praqzis

Yeah, I love Chain Gravitation when combined with the talent :). Not only can it hit targets multiple times, but you get the bonus that if the mob was low enough for execute to be available, it will automatically kill them as well :D. It feels so OP to be rolling through Impossible solo stuff and taking out entire groups with two button presses!

5. Kinson

Kinson Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

It's a good point about gravity trap on bosses. Completely derped on reading the tooltip in its entirety.

Impulse Intensity is just a placeholder for now in terms of PvE builds, but I picked it up for when I want to spec "lol rockfall you die" build.

As for Quantum Collapse, I tend to spam when finishing off random mobs where energy conservation isn't a concern. For bosses I live sledgehammer to sledgehammer cycle, ensuring I have enough energy for the next round.

Let me know how your stone spear build works out.

6. Praqzis

Something I didn't realize before and may be useful for others... (got confirmation on NA forums and in-game).

Why cast Gravity Trap before Chain Gravitation? When you cast Gravity Trap, all your casts are guaranteed to crit for a short amount of time. That not only includes the initial damage to that one bad buy in chain gravitation, but it includes _all_ bad guys it bounces around between. That's a _lot_ of added damage :). And it's also fun to see all the huge red pop-up numbers when you get so many crits :).

I've also been messing around with Crushing Blow and Lacerated Wounds. When stacked with high crit chance (either through Lucky Shot or Chapels), your normal Kinetic Pulse will actually crit fairly often. Lacerated Wounds will mean that these crits will cause the DoT bleed. That can add up quite a bit as good filler spells in your rotation. When you add in your big burst, you can cause some serious DEEPS with Kinetic :).