New Website - BUG REPORTS

Discussion in 'New Website Patch Notes & Bug Reports' started by Paradigm, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

PLEASE REPORT ALL WEBSITE RELATED ISSUES & BUGS IN THIS THREAD. WE WILL ADDRESS THEM AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. THANK YOU

2. Ledmojo

Ledmojo Dragon with no fire Website Administrator Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

splash screen link under the "check out or most active chapters"not working when trying to click "bdo forums" and "sign up & play!" . also not working for Rev. Using chrome/MS EDGE.

3. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

Thanks, designed that page before all the URL addresses changed. I'll fix now

4. Paradigm

fixed

Zeklomontu likes this.
  5. TartFlavor

TartFlavor At least I'm not Loanwolf Website Administrator Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

Minor thing, but there's a text link over the header image and header image isn't clickable (chrome).
    upload_2017-11-16_18-22-10.png

Averie likes this.
  6. TartFlavor

TartFlavor At least I'm not Loanwolf Website Administrator Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

Another minor thing - there's a .2 second transition when you move your cursor off a nav bar link, causing the the profile information on the right side to shift down and up sometimes on my resolution. On some pages (such as the forum pages) the profile information is permanently shifted below the nav.
    upload_2017-11-16_18-26-30.png

EDIT: Figured my resolution would be helpful, running at 1440x900

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Averie likes this.
  7. TartFlavor

Steam openid seems to be currently down, so that isn't a website issue. I tested it on another site just to double check and it wasn't working there either.

EDIT: openid is working again, all the steam stuff looks good!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  8. TartFlavor

Footer image currently links to imageshack

9. Paradigm

That's very weird ... the footer image is a stock image from the theme library ... it's not clickable to me and there is nothing in the code or the settings that has a redirect ... weird

10. Paradigm

The small text is the clickable, it's also where the logo goes. The main banner is not an actionable item. I'm having the logo redone in blue and then I'll post it. For now, that small text is a portal to the main forums page, just like the forums button

11. Paradigm

What device? The site is set to fluid and responsive on a PC, but has max widths on other devices. I don't have those errors, but with a fluid design, it should render properly. It's difficult to work on issues that I'm not experiencing myself, but I'll see what the responsive settings are

12. TartFlavor

I glanced at the HTML, there's a link tag around the image redirecting it.
    upload_2017-11-16_18-48-38.png

Oh okay, makes sense! If you want to go for a blue theme I can recolor that smaller logo I made (the TG one) if you'd like to use it for anything in the future. Will probably do it anyways for BDO if we plan on going for a blue theme from now on.

13. TartFlavor

That's on my desktop PC, screen resolution 1440x900

14. Paradigm

I'll see if I can drop my resolution when I get home tonight and duplicate it ...

15. Paradigm

Oh, you're talking about the footer on the forums page ... i was looking at the footer on the portal page ... that's easy enough to remove

16. TartFlavor

ooo yeah my bad, shoulda been specific.

17. grouchy

grouchy Smiling on the inside Legendary Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Board Member Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

I see these A-hat extra characters on this image. Suspect they are supposed to be font or some other type of marker...

Using Chrome with ghostery, scriptsafe, and ublock-origin addons. Facebook and twitter are blocked/denied/verboten.
    Splash.png

18. Paradigm

19. Sorekara

Sorekara Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer

Great job on the makeover. Looks really swanky.

Found a couple of issues so far:
    • Landing page takes literally 30 seconds to load, even if visited before. Could be solved making inline JS statically delivered with whatever caching mechanism is employed by the web server, and more importantly, reducing amount of parallax if possible.
    • div id="loginBar" has usability issues if accessed from a position below the top of the page, particularly on mobile. I think using position set as sticky instead of relative (to parent), or nesting as a child of the already sticky nav bar might solve it.
    • Two home icons being used, one as actual home and another as an accordion is a bit confusing. I feel like those options could be dropped down from the `FORUMS` button.

20. LoanWolf

LoanWolf Rangers > Berzerkers Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

So first of all I do want to say I appreciate you spearheading. There are a lot of new additions I really really like. I really like the charter calender and mumble info all being on the top tool bar. I really like the new steam top games tab, I think its interesting even though I havent figured out how to add my info. Really like the store being connected to the site. I really like the new template for the forum. Like Ive said in the past the old one was too green for my work computer so I was using the old xenforo skin for the longest time. Feels cleaner overall. My only complaint is I am never a big fan of sound on web pages, I am not smart enough to realise where sound is coming from my computer and usually takes me a bunch of minutes to figure it out. The main page I actually think is really cool, but it may be doing too much because the load time on it is pretty long. Good work Para.

As for bugs, potential bug is when I scroll to the bottom of a forum post to reply, and Im not logged in, I click the button and the image to sign on is all the way at the top of the page, so I need to manually scroll up to the top. Not a game breaker, just don't remember if it was always like that.

21. Paradigm

@LoanWolf ... thanks for the input. The yellow button that always appears on the bottom right of your screen will auto scroll you back to to the top. When you first logged in, make sure you selected 'keep me logged in' right next to the password box. For sound, I agree that sound is not a good thing when you are surfing from work and you have others around you. For now, the sound button will always be on the bottom right of the screen, a little box with a speaker icon in it.

I can set the sound to auto off and make the toggle 'on' instead of the reverse, which is the way it is now.

As far as the landing page, yes it takes a bit to load and I knew that going in ... but it wasn't meant to be visited every time you want be on the site. Like the patch notes said, it was designed to be a recruitment tool ... the initial representation of our community.

For most of us, we like to navigate directly to the forums page like we've been doing for years ... so just set your 'favorites' to www.tenaciousgamers.com/forums and you'll bypass the portal page.

22. Paradigm

@LoanWolf ... I think if you log out and then log back in by clicking on the 'Login in using Steam' gray button on the right that you'll get a screen asking you if you want to link your accounts. After linking, you're steam information will be under your Avatar and your stats will be on the Steam page

23. LoanWolf

LoanWolf Rangers > Berzerkers Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I see it now. Im blocked at work so Ill take a look at that later.

24. Paradigm

The landing page takes 5 seconds to load for me at home and on my home PC with cleared cache, but I'll look into it. The portal page was built not to be an everyday visit by our members, but more as a recruiting tool. The parallax and rolling video backgrounds are all just part of a first impression. Most of us navigate directly to the forums page, which is now located at .com/forums

The two home icons are embedded into the template, on for Wordpress, one for Xenforo. I'm not going to drop one of them into a sub-directory, but I am going to rename the forums homepage to 'News'

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into your loading suggestions

25. LoanWolf

I think the sound being set to auto off would be good imo. I know webpage sound is a pet peeve of mine and Im sure a few others. I think the landing page has a lot of good information on it and my only concern is the load time of that. Im going to keep playing around, but I think the forum skin is 100% better.

26. AmazonCheesecake

AmazonCheesecake "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow" Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

I noticed that anyone I see with a G in their screen name appears to be cut off by their title. So far, I've seen it on yours @Paradigm and on one other (Grouch'ys I think?).

para.jpg

27. AmazonCheesecake

AmazonCheesecake "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow" Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

Also I'm seeing the icons on the Shoutbox buttons appearing small? I'm on a laptop, so not sure if its lower resolution is affecting it or what...

shoutbox.jpg

28. LoanWolf

Navigating forums feels easier on mobile

29. TartFlavor

The load times are a bit of an issue for me too, it takes ~20-30 seconds on my home network and I can't load it on my phone at all.

30. Averie

Averie Averie#1956 - Add me! Website Administrator Mythic Gamer Veteran Member

- The tenaciousgamers.com page takes just under 14seconds to load on my work computer, just for reference. I do think it could perform the same function for recruiting and just be less stuff. I do also agree that the auto play music is a turn off for most people.

- When I receive a 'New Alert' how it pops up in the bottom left hand of your screen, it is just a white box with no visible text. Also the notification "Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?" Shows up in all white text on a white background box.

- The tenaciousgamers.com page has the new TG logo. The forums have the Black/Green T logo (on the tab in Chrome) - not sure if that is intentional or not.

31. Averie

- The scrolling screenshot banner is clickable and brings you to a blank page. Don't think it's meant to be clickable.

- The BDO/Revelation image right underneath the scrolling screenshot banner brings you to a 'buy domains' link.

32. Averie

This is really just personal preference but I'm not a fan of the scrolling text up top on the homepage... It reminds me of a popup and when I see it I want to 'x' it out and make it stop. Maybe if it wasn't such a bright color and blended in more it wouldn't be as distracting?

33. Paradigm

This confuses me ... you use the Futuris theme, why would a scrolling banner on a theme you don't use bother you?

34. Averie

I am using the new theme to help out of course. Just offering my opinion is all.

35. Qigang

Qigang Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet. Tenacious Gamer

My profile image is distorted on some places for some weird reasons.

Example of how it should be (and how it is when clicking on my profile):
    [​IMG]

Example of how it looks like when I'm posting:
    [​IMG]

Example on my posts themselves:
    [​IMG]

Also note that the g's in my name are getting cut off on the bottom there (not sure whether that was already mentioned) and that the medals are broken for some reason.

36. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Website is amazeballs, this is my first time visiting (had another long stint in the hospital) so I'm late to the party but it's freaking incredible!

Side note the Trophys under everyones info on the left are mostly showing broken images for me, a few trophies will show, but 90% aren't. Using Firefox (new version)

37. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

upload_2017-11-19_7-40-4.png

Just a pic for reference

38. Paradigm

I'd need a screenshot ... I don't know what you are referring to

39. Averie

I'll try... In order for it to pop up I need to have the thread open while someone else posts a comment.

I will leave this thread open if you can please quote me again.

40. Paradigm

@Qigang ... the Avatar image box for the forum nodes is 136x136px ... what is the original size of your Avatar? The original would have to be equal borders in size to be able to scale without distortion