Needing guru tech guys

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Itcantbehelped, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Itcantbehelped

Itcantbehelped Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

im looking into some Hard drives and im wanting to stick ing my rig that im building and coming up with and im looking for some ssd's anyone have any that would be great for gaming pc's and storage im looking for write speed and rewrite speed with more then 1tb on it if any will im to share their set up that would be great or things their looking into as well and let me know cause with what im running right now im not liking the space that i have lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
  2. Itcantbehelped

Maybe itll help if i show what im building then you guys can tell me how best to go about doing my hard drives and such.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
  3. Itcantbehelped

here the build just wanting to know what to do with hard drive setup.

MotherBoard
    MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
    Processor
    Intel Core i7-6850K 15M Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W CM8067102056100 Desktop Processor
    Graphic card
    2x MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card
    Memory
    2x CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16G:cool: 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) Desktop Memory Model
    M.2 ssd
    SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6P512BW for OS drive
    SSD
    Crucial MX300 2TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT2050MX300SSD1 this for storage.

Monitors
    2x BenQ XL2430T 24" 1ms GTG Widescreen Gaming Monitor, 350 cd/m2 DCR 12,000,000:1, GROM 100 / 120 / 144 Hz, USB Hub Ergonomic Design, Preload Gaming settings
    Cd rom drive
    Pioneer Blu-ray Writer BDR-S09XLT Burner Drive BD 16X
    Keyboard
    Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E.7 Gaming Keyboard for PC
    Sound system
    Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30 Watts 2.1 3 Piece Flat Panel Design Subwoofer & Satellite Speaker System
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 820 Series CA-PH820-G1 Gunmetal Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Mouse
    RAZER Ouroboros Gaming Mouse

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Taedalma likes this.
  4. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

That's a pretty sick system! Congratulations

I don't know what your budget is for an SSD system. @Mendien knows a lot about drives.

There are only 2 players in the extreme high performance SSD game ... Crucial M550 and Samsung EVO 850 Pro

Both are extraordinary ... one reads faster, one writes faster. Just Google comparisons to see the charts. Can't go wrong either way

Itcantbehelped likes this.
  5. Itcantbehelped

you wouldnt happen to replace anything with something better would you?

6. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

It all sounds and rates pretty well ... I don't know much about MSI ... my entire system is ASUS

I don't think you'll need the AVerMedia. If you download and install the GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, it will have all of that functionality and integrate seemlessly with your video cards. It has a feature called ShadowPlay that will record and embed your game videos. Works pretty well

Also, with a system of that magnitude, don't skimp on the SLI Bridge ... don't use the stock one that will come with your video cards ... get a cool one. These are three very nice ones (I currently use the the EVGA bridge) including an MSI version

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Bridge-...id=1477871050&sr=8-2&keywords=evga+sli+bridge

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-SLI-2WAY...477871083&sr=8-12&keywords=geforce+sli+bridge

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/bridges

7. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Are you building a gaming computer or Skynet??

8. Taedalma

Taedalma Cookie Monster Tenacious Gamer

A very important and crucial thing you're over looking is the newer M.2 slot. Unlike traditional HDD and SSD that use the Sata III connector and can only reach a max of 6Gbps, a M.2 slot paired with an appropriate M.2 internal SSD can reach 10Gbps standard and even 32Gbps if the MoBo supports turbo M.2 (yours does). So if you have money to spare, I would recommend utilizing that M.2 slot.

You can can get a Samsung 950 Pro series 256 GB ("Ultra-fast Sequential Read/Write Performance: Up to 2,200MB/s and 900MB/s Respectively. Random Read/Write IOPS Performance : Up to 270K and 85K Respectively*") for about $190 which would be plenty to hold your OS and your most commonly played games. But if you're into photo/video editing and/or have a huge Steam library, the 512GB is around $315.

Performance-wise, I would recommend utilizing the M.2 slot on your MoBo if you have the money to splurge on it. Just don't forget to invest properly in fans and decide if you want to do a positive/negative air-pressure build in your case.

On that note, I noticed that you want a K-series CPU which means it's Unlocked and designed for over-clocking yet I don't see a proper heatsink for it. Yes, the CPU does come with its stock heatsink but it's rubbish and is generally loud under load and if you do plan on over-clocking, won't do much. For a cheap but very effective air heatsink, I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for around $25. If you want to go pre-built water cooled for over-clocking, I recommend the Corsair H100i for around $130, again, I don't know your budget.

In addition, I recommend using https://pcpartpicker.com/ when doing custom PC builds. It allows you to see compatible parts when building, list the cheapest website to buy, and allows you to easily link your build for anyone to see rather than copying and pasting a giant wall of text.

I also agree with @Paradigm about getting a high quality SLI bridge that supports higher bandwidth between GPU communication (I prefer one that has the light-up logo).

9. Taedalma

As for the build you currently have, what PSU are you planning on using? Another advantage of using https://pcpartpicker.com/ is that it'll give you an estimated wattage usage of your entire build so you know the proper PSU to buy. I recommend getting a PSU with a Gold or Platinum efficiency rating.

Also, although it looks impressive, 128 GB is overkill. Well, I know running two instances of Google Chrome can be quite taxing but general usage does not warrant the need for 128 GB. Sadly, additional RAM has no added benefits to a build. The only time you would see a problem is if you run out of RAM but 64 GB would be absolutely plenty and give you head room to spare as well. I recommend only buying one set of the Dominator Platinum and utilizing that money elsewhere in your build such as a proper CPU cooler or the M.2 SSD. Yes, it would visually look nice to see every slot in your MoBo filled up but at this point, unless you plan on rendering movies while gaming while computing the next prime number and next digit of Pi while calculating what the optimal cooking time and length is for chocolate chip nutella cookies are, 128 GB is absurd. Imagine RAM like the highway, more RAM is like adding more lanes but if there's only a handful of cars, then the speed limit (the speed of the RAM) is the limiting factor, not the amount of RAM/lanes. Only during heavy rush hour of bombardment will you see an impact on performance and 64GBs is plenty to deal with most problems.

Rather than the 2nd kit of RAM, you can invest in the CPU cooler, M.2 SSD, or even a UPS in case of electrical outages. Yes, it would be useless for gaming if your modem/router weren't connected as well but having a UPS so you can properly shut-down your computer rather than its life support being yanked out suddenly and violently can be a life savior, especially if you plan on doing video/photo projects and are afraid of losing all your work. I live in Florida myself so I'm use to thunderstorms and power surges during the summer and having a UPS is a life savior.

For the sound system, it works but my question is what mic do you plan on using? Also, the sound system in itself is wonderful for general gaming and watching movies/listening to music but if you want to play FPS or games where positional sound cues are crucial, headphones are a necessity IMO. But if MMOs is your forte, then the sound system works, I just wonder what solutions you have for a mic is.

10. Taedalma

One more potential issue is that your AVerMedia C985 Live Gamer HD capture card can capture 1080p but only at 30 frames; therefore not recording the true brilliance and power of your dual 1080s. Although this isn't a deal-breaker, I find watching 60fps videos equally as appealing as playing games at 60 fps but that's a personal preference.

A suggestion that I also have is replacing your two monitors for an ultra-wide 21:9 monitor at 3440 x 1440. Yes, it's capped at 60Hz when using Display Port (50Hz for HDMI) instead of 144Hz and response time can be around 5/7ms instead of 1ms but unless FPS games are your focal point, I believe the higher resolution, curved display, and noticeable lack of a bezel down the middle creates a more immersive feel when both gaming and ordinary usage. Paired with Samsung's PIP/PBP (don't know if Dell or LG supports it yet), you can split the screen real-estate into two different sources in the event you want to watch TV on one side while browsing/gaming on the other half. Also, the costs are about the same so it's a case of whether you're willing to sacrifice Hz/response time for a higher resolution and deeper immersion experience.

11. Itcantbehelped

lol both why not have it all lol

12. Itcantbehelped

i didnt put a hink sink on their cause im using the kracken water cooling for the processor

13. Itcantbehelped

and to answer your question about the mic i have a head set mlg px22

14. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Regarding SSD's, it is all covered well here already. You mentioned "not liking your space" you have now. How much is it? the M.2 is the way to go, but you are limited on space it seems. I don't use my M.2 slot b/c I have 1tb now and it is pretty much full and I desperately need a 2tb which at last check is not an option for me.

You'll not notice the difference in speed in a good SATA SSD vs M.2, but...with that beast of a build you have, I'd go for top of it all like you seem to be going.

Lastly, if you are gaming at 1080p, the GTX1080 is way overkill, especially x2. That resolution is so low I'd bet a 1060 is enough to push max settings on any game, now that said, I'd second what @Taedalma said, get the Ultra Wide 3440x1440 keeping the 2x 1080 GTX (not the 2560x1080). If money is tight b/c that is a ~$1000 monitor, I'd cut back to the i5 and your RAM to save some money and put towards the monitor. The monitor is IMO, the most important piece in your system, you could have all the latest power built in, but if you output to a weak crappy display, what was the point?

15. Zorph

Zorph Legendary Gamer Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

IMHO even though this will be a dream computer it is way overkill for every game on the market from what I can tell. Unless your planning on going 4k monitors a single 1080 should be enough. It is usually much better to upgrade more often than go multiple GPUs. Before going this high end, I would recommend upgrading everything else in your system.

Getting a better chair, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headset, microphone and desk. Of course if all that is what you want and you have spare money. The go for it and enjoy, it will rock. Good luck, show pictures so we can all droolJ

16. Itcantbehelped

so on screen with any of these screen be as good as what their telling me to get?? cause im not really getting for fps or size really.

1. Acer Predator XB271HK 4K UHD IPS NVIDIA G-sync Gaming Monitor Black 27" 4ms HDMI DisplayPort 60 Hz Built In Speakers
    2. ViewSonic XG2700-4K 27" 3840 x 2160(4K) Ultra HD IPS Free Sync Gaming 4K Monitor, 1000:1, 300cd/m2, USB, HDMI, Display Port, Height, Pivot, Title and Swivel adjustable, VESA Mountable

i mean when atlking about best screen for are you saying the ultra wide better cause of more on the screen?

17. Itcantbehelped

and some of the stuff i already own and am not upgrading... and i might be getting it in jan or sometime during that time just depends on how things go with my retirement fund coming in

18. Zorph

Ideally see if you have a friend to try out the large monitor.

Up to 27 inch you are probably fine, but the super large ones are make me nauseous if playing FPS for a long time.

19. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Resolution is what's important on pushing graphics. A 52" TV with 1080p resolution can be pushed by a 1060 card as the pixels are just a low amount.

As you up to even a non ultra wide, like 2560x1440 it's a crap ton more pixels and that is when cards struggle.

So like zorph said, if 24" is big eblnough for you, great, still go for the higher resolution though, 1080 is just old school and ugly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

20. Itcantbehelped

oh and why just go for skynet when we can power a nebula ;p

21. Itcantbehelped

So no one really stated the best screen lol

22. Paradigm

ASUS 34" Republic of Gamers PG348Q Ultrawide with GSync .... unchallenged

It's the only 1440x3440 144hz gaming monitor available right now (in 144hz) ... and it has GSync technology, which is the total bomb ... it scales and calibrates the resolution speed of your monitor to the resolution speed of your monitors and sync's them ... eliminating tearing and video lag.

I have one ... love it

https://www.amazon.com/PG348Q-3440x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01C83BE6U

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  23. Shandar Soulbringer

Shandar Soulbringer User Error. Replace User. Press Any Key. Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

SAMSUNG 850 EVO-SERIES - 500GB Solid State Drive - Internal, 2.5 in Form Factor, SATA III - MZ-75E500B/AM

24. Itcantbehelped

Well here a update and the started of my pc parts being shipped to me just want to show a bit and keep you updated [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Itcantbehelped

Today shipment of computer part to my extreme gaming rig [​IMG]

26. Itcantbehelped

Ok so have another amazing question some might be able to answer so today I'll be getting my last part and I have all already built so I was wondering what route I should go dp or hdmi for connectors from video card to screen

27. Itcantbehelped

Like I know I heard one thing about both but I'm wanting honest opinion cause like what I've heard and then what I read In the user Manuel is different so need some help deciding

28. Zorph

Here's a quick summary of the connection types:

• HDMI: Audio and video signal, best for TV to PC connections.
    • DVI: Video only, perfect for older systems or for 144Hz at 1080p.
    • DisplayPort (DP): The best connector for an audio and video signal, and can transmit 144Hz up to 4K.
    • VGA: Old, legacy video connector. Only to be used when nothing else available.
    • USB Type-C: Newest audio, video, data and power connector. The best laptop connection.
    DisplayPort is probably what you will be using.

29. Paradigm

DisplayPort or go home

30. Itcantbehelped

Ok sounds good