Need advice

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Shiala, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Ok finally going to do some upgrades and need advice.

My system is,
    Amd fx4100
    650gtx
    8g ram

I have $200 to spend now, and will have 300 to spend on Sept, what would you upgrade? Currently the 8350 is on sale for 179$ was thinking of that, then do a card and psu in Sept. I think I'll need an aftermarket fan as well since all the reviews say the stock fan sucks. Thanks in advance.

2. LiquidElectron

LiquidElectron Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I know nothing about AMD CPU's. I will look it up.

After looking it up, I would agree with you. Yes. Do what you said.

3. Sevalle

Sevalle Community Guest Tenacious Guest

for aftermarket fans I would look into the self contained liquid cooling units like the corsair h100i or h105 or cooler master they tend to be close to the same price as the good aftermarket fan/heatsink combos and all you have to do is install and good to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103181

4. Within

Within Test Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I also know nothing of AMD CPUs, but your order upgrade is sound. First CPU then GPU.

I prettified my PSU and replaced my barely used one with a fully modular model. I still have my previous one if you are interested (750w in its original box).

I would save money and get a tower radiator style CPU cooler if you are not going to play with overclocking. It would do the job and be much better than the stock cooler.

This one is often recomended and can be found with rebates or on sale occasionally.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

The GPU market and prices change constantly, I would pick it close to when you are going to purchase it. I like to read Tomshardware's monthly value rating of GPUs. This is the June edition -

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

tom'sHardware is my favorite online computer resource. I am not currently doing anything to my rig, but I still go to this site weekly. (OK, sometimes daily)

5. Wytch

Wytch Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

6. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I'll definitely take you up on your offer, as my 350w PSU isn't going to cut it. Honestly not sure what to do, only have a budget of $200 and the CPU is $175
    would the stock one work for now as I won't be over clocking it? Or do I need to wait till I can get a good cooler?

7. Shiala

Actually I think I can swing that Evo, thanks for the advice

8. Shiala

ok you know how sometimes life likes to kick you in the privates, laugh at you, then sit on you while your down? That's me atm, took my son to Taco Bell tonight and went out to leave, the gear shift on the van suddenly disconected and it won't shift, we walked 1.5 mi back to the house. Hopefully it won't be too expensive, but there goes my upgrade.

If you're the praying sort, wouldn't mind a few, just praying it's an easy fix and not $1000+

9. LiquidElectron

LiquidElectron Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

You know, I expected a really gross story when you started out with Taco Bell.

Hard to tell what the shifter disconnecting really is, could be just the stick itself came loose...I won't say the dreaded 't' word. I might have some parts floating around that I could send to you if you want me to take a look?

10. Shiala

I'm sitting in here now waiting on the tow truck, unfortunately since it's the holidays the shop is closed so I have the weekend to worry about it lol.

I'm thinking surely it's just something came loose, and yes let's not mention the T word :)

11. Yugota

Yugota Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Tenacious?

12. Within

Within Test Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Pretty much sucks this happens on a holiday weekend.

These things aren't always as bad as you fear, especially if you haven't been getting signs of an issue developing.