Monitor purchase advice

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Sir_Titania, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Sir_Titania

Sir_Titania Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer

To whom it may concern:
    I am looking into buying a new, second monitor and am in need of help in choosing one. Currently i have a Dell 2414h and i'm pretty pleased with it. But i'm also fairly certain there are better ones out there. Anyhow, on to restrictions. I have a GTX 980 graphics card and afaik (but i may be wrong) it won't really handle 4k and 60 fps and up on a consistent basis, especially with 2 monitors. I would like a full HD, preferably a bit larger than 24", let's say 27", as for refresh rate, i would like it to be up to 144 Hz, but it's not a priority (60 is fine, not great but fine). I wouldn't mind a widescreen monitor, but it's not a priority either. As for budget, let's say i'm willing to spend around 500 euros, give or take 150 (i wouldn't go above 700 though), preferably less, since in a year or 2 i'm looking toward an upgrade in both graphics card and monitor (the real upgrade). I would be happy to any and all advice for specific monitors, what i should pay attention to when browsing them and so on. If you need any other information, i'll be happy to give it, but honestly, i'm not really knowledgable enough about these things to oblige (hence this post).

Thank you and best regards,
    Sir_Titania

2. GeEkOfWiReS1097

GeEkOfWiReS1097 Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Hey, I don't know if you've come across something you might like, as I'm a few days late but I might have something.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...6dg/apd/210-agjr/monitors-monitor-accessories

It's not 4K, but it is 1440p and 144Hz. Idk if there is any conflict with this over in Europe but this could be a potential monitor.

I'm not entirely sure that moving to 1080p on a 27 inch monitor may be the best. I haven't seen any good recommendations from any friends or colleagues so I don't have anything to post. I think the biggest concern with a 27 inch 1080p screen will be the image quality. At the number of pixels per inch, it won't be as "comfortable" on the eye as a 1440p at 27 inches would or 1080p at 24 inches. A GTX 980 really should do just fine at 1440p since I rock a 970 4GB on 1440p and a second monitor at 1080p.

There used to be a 1080p 27in Acer that ran a 144Hz but it's been discontinued due to poor sales in the long run. I have no clue and have found no indication that it was ever replaced by anything and I can't find anything with a decent reputation that would be appropriate to post in its place.

3. Sir_Titania

Sir_Titania Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer

thank you. i'll definitely check it out