Machining 101

Discussion in 'Machining' started by Vorvidar, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Vorvidar

Vorvidar Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Machining

This profession is sought out once people get to mid to late game items. It is needed for high end transportation, but is also used for various smaller parts.

To level this profession quickly, offer to break down illuminated level + crafted items for friends or guildies as they provide large chunks of LP to be used at a time.

If you dont have a lot of people you know that need things broken you can level this profession nicely by getting with a few people who plan to make alot of fishing poles (handicraft people)

The best things to level this profession with are Gilt Reels (15LP) - 2 iron ingot and 1 gold ingot and
    Sturdy Steel Reels (10LP) - 2 Lumber 2 Iron Ingot

Your services will be wanted and because its a little more difficult to level than some of the others, can charge a heafty price. (Note: later on in game main crafters Weaponsmith/Metalworking/Tailor/Leatherworker/Carpentry will also have a high level in this from doing their own reforaging of items.) So do try to push yourself at the start so that people know that you are doing machining so they remember to come back to you later, and do put vehicle parts on the AH.

Supportive Professions
    Mining/Metalworking *****
    Logging/Carpentry ****
    Handicraft *
    Tailor *
    Weaponsmith *

Suppors Professions
    Handicraft **
    Tailor *
    Weaponsmith *
    Metalworking *
    Carpentry *

2. Kinson

Kinson Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Great info, thanks!

Is there any reason that Wooden Reels are left of the short list of items for leveling the profession? They cost 2 lumber and 5 LP, making the LP/material ratio less than the Gilt Reel and equal to the Sturdy Steel Reel. The Gilt Reel also relies on gold, which is harder to come by than lumber, so I imagine Wooden Reels would be available for crafting more frequently. I am planning to level machining as quickly as possible, so efficiency is a big interest for me.

Also, any idea which vehicle components sell well? For instance, Ultralight Wing Ribs are relatively easy to create, so I imagine they won't command much of a price. On the flip side, the Glider Thruster is a bit trickier to piece together.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. Vorvidar

Wooden Reels are left out because iron ingot costs on average about 1/5 the amount that lumber does (or less). So on beta right now (which is still an early economy) iron ingots could be bought for less than 1 silver each, whereas 1 piece of lumber is about 12-16s ea, so its really comparing 24-32s for 5LP use or 26-34 for 10LP use. The gilt reels will cost you more to make than the sturdy ones because of gold prices, but they are a fishing supply and as a former handicrafter, I would always look for the reels on AH before I made them myself just because often they were cheaper than the mats so that they would sell fast (and so the maker can buy more to level up machining quicker so that he could start making high end vehicle parts and make bucketloads). So I suppose I should say that the gilt reel was put in there when it is more economically viable to do than the sturdy reel, but by all means try not to make just the simple wood reel.

Ultralight wing ribs are also attained via quests as are 2 other components which are made. Also, a lot of the people starting out will have gliders that are given to them via the founders packs, though I know not everyone will have this, it will diminish the market a little. Despite these things though, I am sure if you were to sporadically mention in faction chat that you are helping with glider upgrades, you will have some bites.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  4. Kinson

Kinson Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Ah, I wasn't thinking in terms of silver per LP. That makes perfect sense.

I didn't realize that many of the higher end glider components were quest rewards. That seems a bit silly, no? Is it safe to assume at the very least that the specialty component (Godshield Generator, Red Dragon Igniter, etc) can only be obtained via crafting? Otherwise it seems like those components will only be needed if someone wants to have more than one of the better glider types for the different special abilities.

Regarding leveling via gliders... will it be possible for me as a machinist to do the upgrades to everyone's Experimental Glider all the way to Ultimate Glider as a means for power leveling the profession? Or will the Experimental Glider be character bound, thereby making this not possible?

5. Vorvidar

yes there are just a few low cost components to make that are actually gained via quest line, everything really important to gliders needs crafted and such. I know katmondi did well just selling the red dragon glider and such during alpha and all, and those gliders aren't bound so there is hope for making gliders for others.