Looking for New Gaming Laptop or Desktop

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Enkia, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Enkia

Enkia Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer

One of my parents are willing to buy me a new, separate PC for gaming as my birthday present. However, I don't have a clue on what brands are good or how to compare custom built to manufactured ones... Also, they said to use Amazon to find what I want. Any recommendations?

WintairShade likes this.
  2. Zorph

Zorph Legendary Gamer Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

Do you have a dollar range you want to stay within?

How fast do you need this? Many believe AMD is making an announcement soon on their next processor and possibly the video cards. This could lower the market some.

Do you know of anyone that would be willing to put a computer together or help you? I know many people in Tenacious could guide you.

Desktop PC give you more for your dollar, but obviously are not portable. Do you need it to be portable?

3. WintairShade

WintairShade Test Tenacious Gamer

If you can get anything, I recommend Dell's gaming machine, Alienware. I highly recommend. I used to be in I.T., and I like to build PC's too, I know people will say no to going with a manufacturer, and to build your own, but you will get a really good machine with solid support for a year included in price. I trust Dell, and I trust Alienware.

If you play Shooters, MMO's or anything really you will not regret it. If you play Lineage II the graphics will be unbelievable and you will be able to Siege with max settings high definition with hundreds of people on your screen with zero lag.

If you can go with something like this for gaming:
    8th or 9th Generation Core i7 processor or higher if possible (you could go with i5, but I recommend i7. If you can afford it, i9 is awesome, but not cheap.
    At least 16GB of RAM.
    NVIDIA 1080 or higher, or AMD (I prefer NVIDIA. I used to be an AMD fan, but NVIDIA takes the cake with G-Sync GeForce Experience.
    Liquid Cooling if you can (Another reason why I go with Dell's Alienware. There is no maintenance to your liquid cooling, runs like a dream, super quiet, no noise, can overclock, but if you get a K i7 processor it's already overclocked and there's no need to overclock it more.
    128 GB m.2 SATA for boot, 2TB Hard Drive for storage or higher. (Boot time is 2-3 seconds tops on a desktop).
    If you can get a monitor, I recommend a 25" or higher Alienware with G-Sync Technology for the maximum use for your NVIDIA 1080 Card. (NVIDIA G-Sync and 3D Vision, about $400 on sale from Dell).

This will cost you about $1500-2500, but you will not regret it. Make sure you purchase during the times they run their Door Buster Deals (usually around Holidays and different times during the week). Everything goes on sale and you can find pre-made machines for lower price than normal.

If you have to use Amazon, they have Alienware, but what I have seen on Amazon is that everything is over-priced, and I personally would never use Amazon.

Just sharing so you know about what you need.

If that's not something you can do, go with something a little cheaper like an i5 processor, anything for gaming you will need to concentrate on Processor, RAM, and Video Card.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  4. Enkia

I'm leaning toward Desktop... Still, I don't know how much better a custom PC would compare to, say, this (this is a laptop): https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-GeForce-i7-8750H-Windows-GL504GV-DS74/dp/B07MDDNCH2/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?fst=as:eek:ff&pd_rd_i=B07MKLLM1Y&pd_rd_r=6eedcb1d-91d9-496a-b494-a24170757c33&pd_rd_w=gZR9b&pd_rd_wg=qqSma&pf_rd_p=5c5ea0d7-2437-4d8a-88a7-ea6f32aeac11&pf_rd_r=R6254C8NCP914WZNPV3V&qid=1554309723&rnid=16225007011&s=computers-intl-ship&th=1

5. TartFlavor

TartFlavor At least I'm not Loanwolf Website Administrator Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

If ~$2k is your price cap, you can certainly get a pretty high-tier setup. If you want a desktop I'd definitely say build it yourself, you'll end up getting far more bang for your buck. Even if it does cost a lot up front, you'll be able to swap out parts when they get dated and it'll cost you far less to keep up. I'm still using some parts in my PC from my first one I built over a decade ago. r/buildapc can be pretty helpful.

6. Zorph

Desktop you will get more speed for the dollar.
    If you give a budget we can help. Do you have a monitor, keyboard or mouse?
    There are some really good value systems that are pre-made. IMHO the advantage of building your own is you get the exact parts you want and are usually higher quality.
    IE you will likely get a better power supply when building your own. But if you don't have the desire to build one you can get a good one already built. Just let us know and we will help.

7. Enkia

I'll go with $2900 as the limit. I already have a wireless mouse; I also need a monitor and keyboard for a desktop setup.

8. WintairShade

That's a good limit!! hehe!
    Alienware! Alienware! :p
    I will never use anything else! :p
    You will love it, I promise.
    003 (2).JPG

9. Pewterdraconis

Pewterdraconis Tenacious Gamer

“Also, they said to use Amazon to find what I want. Any recommendations?”. How firm is this statement? Since we have one guy trying to get you to get Alienware through Dell site.

10. Enkia

My dad finally said he's willing to spend at most $800 :x

11. WintairShade

12. Enkia

What about the brand iBUYPOWER? It doesn't have to be Amazon.

13. Zorph

Here are some options:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2BK6SM/ref=dp_prsubs_1?th=1

https://slickdeals.net/f/12986299-d...s-available?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

I would highly recommend keeping an eye out on slickdeals.net

If you can stretch another $100 out of the piggy bank the 2060 is a pretty big jump up - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Skytech-...500GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-Battlefie/704306361

You can add an SSD later if you get one without. I highly recommend getting an SSD as some point it is a huge improvement.

14. Pewterdraconis

Sorry to burst your bubble Zorph but this quote might cause issues with the ones you are showing. At top of price range and no monitor. But now limit is only 800 and need to quote in monitor. Will keep looking but won’t post my suggestions till I can get home and fully compare. Still at work.

15. Zorph

Sorry I missed that. I will see what I can come up with tomorrow

16. Qigang

Qigang Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet. Tenacious Gamer

I just want to tell you, Enkia, that as a gaming laptop user for over 5 years, I wouldn't recommend anybody to go for a laptop over a PC unless you are on the road most of your time and travel to a lot of different places (i.e. you don't stay in one place). I really needed one cuz I was going to a university in a different city, I was living in a different city and I was travelling home to my parents in the weekend in a different city. So for me, it was kinda necessary that I was able to transport it.

The big plus that a gaming PC has over a laptop is the fact that manufacturers usually build laptops in a very compact manner to keep the size of the laptop as small/thin as possible. So if you look let's say 2 years down the line and you think of making a minor upgrade (i.e. buying some more RAM of buying a new HDD/SDD/graphics card, or even upgrading your CPU), you're going to be running into compatibility problems or simply size issues; the new stuff may not fit inside the case of your laptop.

Currently my laptop has issues running most games that have come out in the recent years decently and has FPS issues or frequent lag spikes / 1-2s freezes. Games like Anthem only run at 10 FPS at the lowest settings so it just means I can't play them. My only upgrade is switching over to a PC or buying an entirely new laptop, which is a significant investment for me. (I would be choosing for option 1 cuz I'm staying at my parents for now).

I therefore highly recommend a PC over a laptop if you have the choice to do so.

Enkia likes this.
  17. Zorph

18. Pewterdraconis

19. Zorph

20. Pewterdraconis

Zorph likes this.
  21. Zorph

That is like one I recommended above. If you prefer Newegg it is the same deal.

22. Pewterdraconis

Yeah it is exact same deal. I really like the look of the one. Components in it seem good like 500 watt power supply and SSD. Small memory upgrade and second hard drive down the line would be easy upgrades.

I like Newegg for there warranty also since you can add 3 year warranty.

23. Enkia

Thank you for the recommendations and advice, guys! I should be getting my new desktop tomorrow :)