Looking for a laptop. Suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Tingle, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Tingle

Tingle Pull My Finger Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

Wife wants a laptop to write in bed on. She is a full time author. Not sure what size screen she wants yet. Wont need high resolution because mainly used for writing in word.

budget around 1k. can go more if had too. But figured with what she needs it wont be that high.

Required things.
    Full size keyboard
    Good keys on keyboard. She probably wouldnt like mechanical but not sure yet.
    Doesnt get real hot
    Microsoft word compatible
    Not too heavy
    not apple

Not required
    optical drive
    dedicated graphics

I will ask her later about screen size and have her test some mechanical keys to see if she likes them at all.
    But if someone has some suggestions, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks y'all

2. Clutch

Clutch Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I like the build and feel of the ASUS Zenbooks. I got one for one of my boys who graduated last year and it's done him well.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-UX305-13-Inch-Laptop-model/dp/B013KKANTE

Another nice option is the Lenovo Yoga 900 which some prefer since the screen rotates letting you work in more positions, and it's a touch screen.

That said, sometimes it's best to go to a place like Best Buy, if that's an option, and play around with a few. Definitely go with an SSD drive 256GB or more as that cuts down the heat factor a good bit.

3. Tingle

Tingle Pull My Finger Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

yeah we went yesterday afternoon and looked at stuff so she could get a hands on. She like the lenovo 910. The new one. Just waiting till closer to christmas to see if they go on sale.

4. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

Lenovo makes a good rig. I had a Lenovo Y510P with dual graphics cards as my mobile gaming rig for a long time, recently gave it to @Rainedance. I think she'll enjoy it.

The only thing you should make sure of is where the heat vents. It was kind of a design flaw on the Y510P that the heat vents were on the sides of the computer, where your peripherals would be when you were gaming. Hopefully the new 910 replaced them back on the rear side.

5. Tingle

the vents are back of keyboard. into the hinge. Reviews about the heat were decent. Wife wont be gaming on it. Only writing in word. Might stream a bit in bed. But wont be holding it if streaming. So should be ok.

6. CrimsonEclipse

CrimsonEclipse You Jelly Bruh? Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Does the OS matter? My job, sometimes sells laptops that are around 2-3 year after use. I think they are going to be doing another raffle by the end of the month (not 100% sure, I can find out). It is a Mac mainly office but we do get Lenovo Windows laptops as well (X1 Carbons), we sell them at trade-in value per Apple so we sell Mac Book Airs - Mac Book Pro between 170-600 (depending on specs and type). I work in the IT department so, can pick out some good ones.

Let me know if your interested, just another option for you if you want.

Edit: I missed the part about not being Apple oops, either way still let me know!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  7. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Not sure if cloud is OK for Office, but Chrome books are very light and good battery on some.

If installed Word is required, you can throw this idea out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8. Itcantbehelped

Itcantbehelped Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

if she only looking to do author stuff on her rig she would be better off going Mac Air pro that way she has all best programs for making life as a author easier..

9. Shandar Soulbringer

Shandar Soulbringer User Error. Replace User. Press Any Key. Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Tingle u still looking for laptop?

Lenovo Laptop IdeaPad 310 15 (80TV00BGUS) Intel Core i5 7200U (2.50 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD Intel HD Graphics 620 15.6" Windows 10 Home $629.99