Keyboard Review: G.Skill KM780 RGB

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Paradigm, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

Don't overlook this option if you are shopping for a tier 1 mechanical gaming keyboard. I had done extensive research on boards before I bought this 3 weeks ago and was hesitant because I'd never known G.Skill to produce anything other than high quality memory.

Now that I've used it for an extended period of time, I don't mind telling you that this is the best keyboard I've ever used. It's amazingly intuitive and comfortable. I don't look at the keyboard when I'm gaming, so the textured replacement gaming keys are awesome.

The RBG model (full color spectrum) lighting is amazing. The aluminum construction is solid and heavy.

You can get any variety of Cherry X keys you want when you order. I always get reds and this one did not disappoint.

In the past, I've used a Logitech G19, Logitech G510 and a Corsair Vengeance K95 and this board blows them all away for me. It's the perfect size and layout and looks awesome.

It has USB 2.0 pass through as well as audio pass through for your headphones and peripherals.

The only negatives are minor ... they could have gone with USB 3.0 instead of 2.0 and the software is horrible. It's not laid out well or intuitive. Once you get the hang of configuring the color schemes, it's easy, but the company really needs to rework it.

Every key is programmable, and every key is light programmable as well as having about 10 factory installed lighting effects

Just a shout out in case you are shopping for a board ... I almost overlooked it because I had never heard of it before.

https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-RIPJAWS-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B015VS26I4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zeklomontu

Zeklomontu Here to help Legendary Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

I'll have to remember to look at this when I go about buying a new keyboard.

3. Jackalope

Jackalope Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I actually got this exact keyboard about a month ago. It has honestly been an amazing keyboard a very nice upgrade to my old razer keyboard. I am really liking the feel of the clicks, so i can get an audio cue and a feel when i press a key. the stippled keys are amazing especially when you dont want to look at the keyboard, the hue change for lighting is really nice since it can match the color of the fluid and LEDS in my case( can also create your own custome color) . The volume wheel is totally amazing, I seem to adjust my volume more often now to suit whats comfortable instead of straining to hear or having my ear drums blown out. so far no big issues with it. Only thing I have come across is sometimes on boot up the keyboard causes some sort of weird error where it stops the boot process and im stuck at a black screen. unplugging the 2 usb cables starts the boot process back up. It is also easy to tell when this happens because only one row of keys lights up. other than that minor issue that happen maybe 1 out of 5 times, its been a very nice keyboard. the key remover that comes with it is also a bonus. dont have to worry about busting keys when I want to clean it.

4. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Interesting. Have you tried moving USB ports? Are you in 3.0 or 2.0 ports now? It is at the BIOS where it pauses, if so, maybe disable the pause on error and see if once it boots (if) does it wake up?

5. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

I'm surprised the keyboard gets virtually no press or mentions in keyboard lists. It's truly amazing. The little details make all the difference ... especially the red textured keys and the key remover/installer that stay in a nice little case that attaches to the top of the keyboards rail system. I've been very happy with it

6. Ren

Ren Entry Team Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Is the palm rest removable? I like KBs with smaller footprints - too much crap on my desk.

7. Paradigm

Yes ... and one of the coolest little features on the keyboard is a mouse wire guide on the backside rail system

upload_2016-8-24_15-23-14.png

Footprint with no wrist pad

Untitlegskill.png

8. Jackalope

Jackalope Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Have tried all the different USB ports on the mobo, think it only has 2.0. Mobo is a little on the older side so i dont tyhink it has 3.0

im not sure what step along the way it actually has an error, but i get shown a screen that contains my Mobo info, then it ussually goes black till the windows log on screen pops. when the keyboard does have an issue its right in between those two. ill try out your suggestion and get back with an update.

9. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Also, try removing the keyboard once stuck and plug back in, no rebooting the PC. See if that helps.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

10. Paradigm

Also, try removing your @Mendien ... always works for me

11. Mendien

I thought you liked when you had a @Mendien stuck in you?

Squeal for me boy!

Tromin likes this.
  12. Mendien

13. Paradigm

Mendien likes this.
  14. Zeklomontu

Zeklomontu Here to help Legendary Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

I'm tempted to just buy it to get it while it's on sale even though I might not use it yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mendien likes this.
  15. Paradigm

Fuck it ... I bought another one anyway. I'll give it away at the next Gamer Night. That deal is too good not to take advantage of

Mendien and Zeklomontu like this.
  16. Zeklomontu

Got it too. Was thinking about not since we are saving up but too good of a deal to pass up. Can't wait for it to get here

17. Zeklomontu

Going to be my first mechanical keyboard too. Exciting

18. Mendien

Nice! My second one, my Leopold did not hold up, maybe two years, and the keys are popping off.

Thursday delivery!

19. Paradigm

BOOM! The next Gamer Night giveaway prize has arrived

RGB.jpg

Mendien likes this.
  20. Zeklomontu

Nice. Ended up not getting it yesterday like I was supposed to. Hoping for today.

21. Zeklomontu

Just came in. Really liking it already, just need to get used to it being more elevated compared to my last keyboard and the keys. Once I do though, I can already tell it will be an improvement. Messing around the lighting, it's pretty cool. Love that you can adjust the lighting brightness from the keyboard with just a button.

22. Mendien

Yeah, the build quality seems very sturdy.

I need to get used to the other keys on the left, g keys, keep hitting g1 instead of ESC.

Feels great to use so far.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

23. Zeklomontu

change your g1 to esc. Problem solved.

Mendien likes this.
  24. Zorph

Zorph Legendary Gamer Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

I like it so far also. The angle is different so it will take awhile to get use to the keys.

Compared to my Logitech G710 the keys seem higher quality. I haven't played with the software yet, but I am not sure it will be as good.

What mouse is everyone using? I am using the Logitech G502 and it seems by far the best I have tried so far. I don't like the MMORPG mice with 9+ buttons on the side.

25. Zeklomontu

In just a couple days I've gotten used to new angle and elevation, feels good already. I might be switching the textured a key out for the normal, keep pressing it by accident since it's a little higher than the normal keys.

I haven't done much with the software, just checked out the lighting options, which are awesome by the way. I don't see myself using the gkeys so I haven't done anything with the macros.

I'm using the G602 mouse, love it. It has 6 keys on the side but they are bit bigger than what you'd find on the 9 key mice.

26. Zorph

@Zeklomontu don't think the angle will be an issue at all. The quality of the keys seem very good. The reviews seem to put this near the top and the price was good.

27. Sarcus Sarcasticus

Sarcus Sarcasticus Resident Smartypants Tenacious Gamer

Thanks Para for the review. Wife and I were looking at keyboards and decided on this one. Ordered 2 should be here by Oct 17. Almost bought a Logitech but it had to many bells and whistles that were either not used or obsolete.

28. TartFlavor

TartFlavor At least I'm not Loanwolf Website Administrator Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

I got a keyboard review too. SteelSeries is shit, avoid like plague. I'll definitely consider this when I get around to looking for a replacement for mine though, thanks Para.

Zeklomontu likes this.
  29. Paradigm

SteelSeries has always tried and failed to compete with true gaming gear companies like Razer, Logitech and Corsair. Problem is, they went the way of sacrificing quality hardware for pretty aesthetics, and failed miserably. They have good form designers, now they just need some hardware engineers if they want to be taken seriously.

30. TartFlavor

TartFlavor At least I'm not Loanwolf Website Administrator Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

I don't think I've heard of anyone have any sort of SteelSeries peripheral that lasted over a year. Decided to take a chance on a keyboard, which was really nice while it lasted, but replacing switches is a pain in the ass.

I was looking at Corsair keyboards for a replacement, but I had a bad experience with some Corsair memory a few years back and I've been hesitant to buy from them since.

31. Sarcus Sarcasticus

Sarcus Sarcasticus Resident Smartypants Tenacious Gamer

[​IMG]

Yay they came today. wow super fast shipping. Can't wait to game with them.

Mendien and Zeklomontu like this.
  32. Paradigm

BOOM! Gratz!

33. Serenaelia

Serenaelia Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Question for you pros. What are the advantages of using a mechanical keyboard?

I have always used regular Logitech keyboards and mouse, but I feel like I am missing out on quite the experience.

Zorph likes this.
  34. Paradigm

It's personal preference really. Mechanical keyboards provide tactile and audio feedback, plus they have individual torsion actuators, which means you are far less likely to press two keys at once since you are not pressing on a large membrane. Mechanical keys are also interchangeable and easily replaced, since you can remove one at a time instead of having to take the entire keyboard apart and lift up a membrane.

Much better feedback for gamers in my opinion. I gamed for years with a Logitech G510 and loved it ... but I'll never to back until they make a mechanical one :)

Serenaelia likes this.
  35. Zorph

I agree with Para on this one also. Mechanical keys to me just feel better do to giving the feedback. But there is a disadvantage to some because you can hear the keys clicking more. I know there are some that click less, but you can hear it. This sounds could be to loud for some microphones on mumble/twitch.

Since my microphone is dynamic I don't have an issue, just an FYI. This is a real good keyboard.

Serenaelia likes this.
  36. Serenaelia

Serenaelia Difficult roads lead to beautiful destinations Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Thank you for the reply gentlemen.

37. [Blank]

[Blank] Bubble Tea Monster Tenacious Gamer

Well this depends on entirely on how you take care of your product right? I've had the Apex 350 keyboard since its inception near 2013. It is still in perfect working condition for basically 3 years and still going strong.

[​IMG]

38. Mendien

Sometimes. For instance, my track record with Razer mice is bad, they always break, I never abuse or slam them. To me, they make shit products and only care about gamer bling.

Lots of folks here will disagree with me though.

Serenaelia likes this.
  39. Serenaelia

I was just about to ask about mouse with programmable buttons...I was researching some and Razer came up, but the review is not great...Ty for that input "uncle"..lol

Mendien likes this.
  40. TartFlavor

I take good care of my peripherals, my previous keyboard I'd had for 10+ years and never had any issues with it. The keyboard I had (6Gv2) was just poorly made, the key just wore down fast from use.