First time PC build

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Proof, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Proof

Proof Conceited Cupcake Bastard Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Heyo all, two thirds of you guys probably forgot about my existence but here I am, and I am looking to build my first PC. Whoooo! I'll start ordering parts in a couple months once I get to Alaska, but as of right now, this is what I'm looking at. Just a heads up, I have very little knowledge on this sort of stuff, and I have no spare parts that I can incorporate as well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y63HzY

Once I actually begin ordering parts, I will start looking at cheaper prices so I will be attempting to lower these prices (obviously not going to try and pay $100 for Windows 10 and such). I am trying to keep the total cost at about $2,000, but am willing to go up a bit more than that. I don't care about making it look fancy, which is why I decided on a closed case. So if you try and get me to start looking at fancy stuff and pretty lights, I'm just gonna shove a couple cupcakes in your face and slap you. But other than that, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. ZoneOni

ZoneOni Ware ware Website Administrator Epic Gamer Veteran Member

Stop trying to make Wi-Fi gaming a thing. Patch a cable to an MDF like a big man.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

3. ZoneOni

M.2 SSD is all the rage now. Ideally getting one with an onboard controller or even an adapter but it would spike the price up a bit and bring your boot time under the one min mark.

4. ZoneOni

I agree. Drop that case and just build one out of duct tape. It doesn't need an off button.

5. Proof

Proof Conceited Cupcake Bastard Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

I'm about to delete your posts just because that signature...

And I'll be sharing the router with a some friends in an apartment, so WiFi it will most likely be.

I also don't really care about anything else you said because your signature just aggravates me.

6. ZoneOni

Reckt reckt reckt reckt reckt. Get reckt proof.

7. Proof

Anyways, I have no qualms with WiFi. The difference being milliseconds is something I'm not concerned about. If the router doesn't end up being to far from my room, I'll go ahead and grab an ethernet cord.

8. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Holy crap did I miss the memo where we are all supposed to switch to billboard sized signatures? Lol

Qigang likes this.
  9. ZoneOni

Kat please don't kill my fashion statement. The lady gaga of tenacious has steaks on steaks on steaks.

Shiala likes this.
  10. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

If you're not dead set on Intel, I know the new AMD Ryzen processors have gotten really good reviews and are very affordable when compared to Intel, I've got an 8350 in my pc I built and not once wished I'd gone with Intel, next build will definitely stick with AMD.

Also I'd say go as big as you can on the ssd, while initially thinking you'll only really use it for the os, it's so nice to have some of your favorite games, or loading screen intensive (skyrim) games on there and you'll use it up faster then it would seem. (least I did lol)

11. CranberryJeus

CranberryJeus Just a bit Fruity Epic Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

quick issues:
    COOLER- you are using a low profile cooler in a mid tower case, dont do that you will throttle and if you don't throttle it will sound like an agry wasp fucking a lawnmower
    SSD- go with an m.2 you dont want sata if you are building a pc right now, m.2 is crazy amounts faster and not that much more expensive.
    GPU- Wait more if you can but brand and type for the proposed monitor are fine (you could go 60-90fps 1440p on that card but that's preference)
    Monitor- 27 inches and 1080p is... bad especially if you arent doing high redresh rate, this is a 3 year old monitor back from before VESA was like... the norm
    WIFI - fuck....

everything else is basically okay so to fix it up id say
    Any noctua air cooler for a cooler
    any m.2 ssd (samsung is always great)
    time fixes graphics card prices (or they get fucked all over again idk how does the mind of bitcoin entrepeneurs work?)
    you would want to spend more on a monitor maybe? or go smaller

12. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I'd not get any spinning disks. Just do all SSD, seriously.

A agree wtih Cran on the monitor, if 27", better be 2560x1440 or don't show up to the party!

I'd even say drop the i7 to i5 and get the other SSD.

13. Proof

Forgive me for my computer stupidity, but would an i7 not work with two SSDs?

14. ZoneOni

No thats a suggestion to keep your price tag the same.

15. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Yeah, what he said.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. Proof

Okay, so I switched over to two SSD's, currently the Corsair Force Series MP500 480GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen. 3 x4 SSD (yeah I just copy pasted). Now I'm getting this issue:

• The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.
    • The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe-based M.2 drive, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.
    I'm assuming I would need a different motherboard to make it compatible with the change. Any ideas?

Currently the build looks like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XgJqpG

17. Mendien

How many sata ports do you have, and hopehow do you need? I use 2x sata for my 2 SSD, they others are waiting space. So you may not need them. Sounds like it is using the same bus, so you not getting anything by going m.2, but they take up less space and no cables!

18. Proof

I basically have no idea what you said. Am not PC hardware literate/competent.

Basically a child.

I don't like kids.

Oh god, I don't like myself...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mendien likes this.
  19. Shiala

m.2 ssd's are like tiny cards that plug directly on the motherboard iirc, so no mounting elsewhere then running cables.

20. ZoneOni

Hes saying your motherboard can only fondle your m.2 like a sata6 ssd. So it doesn't benefit speed wise from purchasing an expensive ssd. Except for cable management.

On shared sata chips like that wouldn't the m.2 still reach something near 30gigs of bandwidth potentially compared to the 6gigs from a sata6 though?
    Even at the cost of two ports. Like even if it only did 12gigs of band with would be better then 6. I would imagine

21. Mendien

Yes, but who on this forum needs that much bandwidth. If going with a closed case, unless you move terabytes of video around often, the speed gain is not worth the cost, but they are simple to connect, so that rocks too!

Proof, my point was, you can see 2 sata cables in use on my sure it if all these ports, they are my 2 SSDs. So if your Mobo renders your SATA ports useless, who cares, that was my point young child.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

22. Proof

Soooooo...

What you're saying is...

I need a different mobo?

23. CranberryJeus

CranberryJeus Just a bit Fruity Epic Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

his mobo is fine, m.2 isnt fancy NVME is what you are aiming for, the reason being is it uses 4x pcie lanes insteaad of sata which is much faster. in a new build you should not use sata SSDs unless you need more bulk "fast" storage. your mobo is fine

his specs on the m.2
    2 x M.2 slots (Key M)
    - Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
    - Support PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe U.2 SSD with Turbo U.2 Host Card**
    - M2_1 slot supports 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices
    - M2_2 slot supports 2242/2260/2280 storage devices
    - Supports Intel Optane Memory Ready for all M.2 slots
    ** The Turbo U.2 Host Card is not included, please purchase separately.
    the important rtead is that it supports pcie 3.0 x4 that is what nvme is used to accomplish

24. Proof

Alrighty,

So as of right now, that setup is peachy? I'd be able to order those parts and then put it together and things might actually work?

Also, do I like need to get a cd drive or something to install Windows...? >.>

25. CranberryJeus

most people download the windows 10 iso then use the microsoft utility to make it a USB stick

26. Zorph

Zorph Legendary Gamer Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

I really wanted a M.2 but looking real world load time lets say both being 960 EVO's the difference wasn't much. It has potential of course. If your transferring files back and forth it is great. But day to day I couldn't justify it. I do really want to be wrong. I want to experience performance increase like I did jumping from hard drive to ssd again:)

This is a grey area, but I would buy the Windows 10 key from Ebay. They are like $10 same for Office.

Mendien likes this.