Final beta weekend Friday

Discussion in 'The Secret World' started by Duvdar, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Duvdar

Duvdar Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

How many of you are playing beta for this. I am going to get my first taste this weekend and pretty excited to test this out. This game has me pumped at the new concept of no leveling, no worrying about gear.

2. Hellis

Hellis Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Please post pics of the game as you play and give your view on the game in as much detail as youd like :)
    -H to the ellis

3. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

Tromin plays this game during every beta weekend and has really been following it for a long time ... there are some threads in TSW forums here that have some pics I think

4. Oakenhart

Oakenhart Lurker Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

It's not quite true that you don't have to worry about that stuff. You basically "level" up your equipment from level 1 through 10 in order to equip that quality of item. For instance, all of your armor falls into the category of Head Talisman (1), Major Talisman (3), and Minor Talisman (3). You can't wear a Quality Level 5 Head Talisman until you get your "Head Talisman" skill up to 5. The same goes for Blades or Assault Rifles etc. So in essence there is a gear leveling up and you won't be able to do some zones until you can equip a certain quality of item. This past beta I did see people LFG with stuff like "QL5 DPS LFG for Inferno Dungeon" etc...so that stuff will happen.

That's just for leveling up your "Skills" though which you could almost equate to a numeric level in a normal Level-Based MMO. They call that the Vertical Progression. There's also the Ability points which is where they talk about Horizontal Progression. Those just let you do a larger variety of active/passive abilities which in turn open up some really unique combinations. That horizontal progression is what is really one of the best parts of the game and I've fallen in love with it. As you quest you get experience for both the Skills (vertical) and Abilities (horizontal) so it's never like you are wasting time grinding something out.

Mind, I don't want to deter you, I've actually already pre-purchased a lifetime subscription after playing a few betas, I just don't want you to go into the game with false hopes about gear not mattering. There definitely is both the vertical and horizontal progression in the game. I also think the way they do progression is friggin awesome though, so definitely give it a try if you've been following the game :)

5. Duvdar

Well I am looking forward to testing it this weekend.

6. Oakenhart

Trust me: It is awesome :) Also, I did post a thread in the forums here about the quest system in TSW and it's worth a read to help you understand how great the quest system is (most people who said they don't like it haven't really understood it).

This game might just be the new heroin for me ;). I do have a video of one of the Investigation quests that I will need to add a voiceover and post (it'll have spoilers, but it's one of the first quests so I figure it might be worth spoilers to get people who are on the fence into the game). That quest pretty much sold me on the game hands down. This weekend they're also opening the PVP zones, if they're good this game might prevent me from even attempting GW2.

7. Duvdar

I played a little today and I am 50/50 on it right now. Early stages of me testing it so maybe that will change.

8. reastar

reastar Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

TheSecretWorld 2012-06-15 15-38-55-21.jpg
    My TSW char Velendri

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
  9. Oakenhart

If you guys get a chance to play the PvP zones please post how it's going! I've ended up playing in a double header tournament (volleyball) so I have no comp time this weekend :(