Dragon's Prophet

Discussion in 'Dragon's Prophet' started by Killington, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Killington

Killington Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

https://www.dragonsprophetthegame.com/

Dragon's Prophet is a new free to play game being published by SOE.

Highlights are:
    Action based combat
    Over 300 unique dragons to fight, capture, train and ride
    Extensive housing system
    Guilds will be able to create their own kingdoms

The game is expected to launch some time this spring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Erica

Erica Mumble Silence Champion Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer 2009 Original Member

Dragemon! I'm sold!

3. Zawr

Zawr I'm the f**king Monarch! Loremaster Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

I found it odd that they made this game to compete with EQ Next. It looks cool though.

4. Majaba

Majaba Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Hrmm, first i'm hearing of this lol.

5. Kyndig

Kyndig Alpha Geek Legendary Gamer 2009 Original Member

1) How in god's name have I not heard of this one?

2) I'm in.

6. Harimad

Harimad Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

:heart: Dragons! :D

7. Majaba

can you post some links with a lot more details and videos of gameplay???

8. Killington

The game isn't actually being developed by SOE, they just snagged the rights to publish it.

9. Killington

Not sure why there isn't any press for this, I only discovered it by accident looking at SOEs website. They need to get a little hype going for this, it sounds like it will be awesome!

10. Kyndig

I think Zawr may have hit on the reason they haven't advertised it heavily - they want the game, but don't want to have it draw people away from their in-house titles.

11. Killington

12. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

I've never heard of this ... but I'm interested. The videos were pretty cool.

I'll read up on it when I have time, but it definitely looks interesting

13. Majaba

Thanks Killington for the video's/info

14. Majaba

15. Kyndig

The asian beta started yesterday so I'm betting we'll see a LOT more info soon.

16. Majaba

Nice, i'm interested in seeing more of the classes in action.

17. Tingle

Tingle Pull My Finger Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

creators of runes of magic. which was fun. But it was pretty much pay to win later on. Looks cool, depends how the pay stuff works. I like dragons so color me interested.

18. Killington

19. Killington

https://www.dragonsprophetthegame.com/news.vm?article=024

In the beginning, dragons forged the world of Auratia. Morgath, the leader of the dragons created the earth, forests, oceans, and sky. His brethren Kronos and Lysaia then crafted the other races that would share the land with them. Many millennia have passed since then. Morgath reunited with the chaos from whence he was born. Two Dragon Wars have come and gone, eventually claiming both Lysaia and Kronos as well. Now the remaining inhabitants of Auratia must work together to rebuild their shattered land. Dragon's Prophet boasts a world filled with hundreds of different dragons. Each is unique and has its own story to share with the Osira.
    Species

The different dragon species are delineated by their bloodline. The more pure their blood, the more powerful they are. Osira cannot capture Elder or Legendary Dragons, though. They are too powerful for them to form bonds with.
    [TABLE="width: 700, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD] [​IMG] Elder Dragon

Morgath, Lysaia, and Kronos are all examples of Elder Dragons. They are the most ancient of dragons; physically quite massive and strong. Their bloodline is pure since they are the very first dragons. Elder Dragons can live for tens of thousands of years, but they are few in number. It's considered to be extremely rare to even stumble upon such a powerful dragon, much less meet it a second time.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Legendary Dragon

When Elder Dragons mate, their offspring are considered Legendary Dragons. These dragons don't have the same powers as their parents. Even so, they live longer than many other creatures in Auratia – their lifespans being a few thousand years. They are smaller and less wise, but still quite large and strong. Legendary Dragons are still a rare sight to see, but they are around.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Dragon

Dragons are the result of a Legendary Dragon and another creature that have mated. Due to their weak blood, they often have animal characteristics and only live to be a few hundred years old. Because they can reproduce more quickly than other species of dragons, they are found all over Auratia. Dragons are the only ones that can be captured and bonded with by Osira.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Types

Besides there being many species of dragons, there are also an even wider variety of types. These include flying, aquatic, gliding, and land dragons . Over time, the ecology around the dragon influences its features to better adapt for different climates and regions.
    [TR]
    [TD] Flying

[​IMG] Getting around the massive landscapes of Auratia is no easy feat. Flying-type dragons make travel for the Osira much easier. They are often descended from larger birds of prey or other dragon variants like Wyvren and Drakes.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Gliding

[​IMG] Gliding-type dragons have large, webbed arms that help them glide through the air. They can travel long distances in a single bound. Usually bat-like in appearance, they are also skilled combatants.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Land

[​IMG] Land-type dragons come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Some are large beasts of burden. The Osira merchants use these to haul their wares all across Auratia. Some land dragons are agile and fast. Many Osira are fond of using these as mounts. Other land dragons are muscular and adept at combat.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Aqua

[​IMG] The aquatic-type dragons love to swim in Auratia's vast oceans and lakes. The Osira use them for diving and crossing watery terrain.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Mechanics

[TR]
    [TD] Capturing a Dragon

[​IMG] Players will need to prove themselves to a dragon before they can create a bond with it. They can attempt to capture it using the [Capture Dragon] skill. They'll have to play the capturing mini-game which involves using the keys WASD (and sometimes G and F) keys to keep the icon balanced within the center of the target . Players with higher Charisma scores will find they have an easier time capturing dragons. Other factors are taken into account too such as the dragon's stamina score, their rarity, level, etc.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] Dragon Skills

Dragons have a variety of skills. Some of them are used as attacks, buffs, and heals for the dragon itself to use. They also sometimes have skills that help with gathering materials for crafting. Additionally, there are skills that the dragon bestows on its owner. These special skills are called Dragon Soul Skills.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD] The Lair

[​IMG] The dragons that players bond with aren't always alongside them. Players can choose to put some of their dragons in the Dragon Lair. In this area they can send their dragons off to learn new skills, gather crafting materials, allocate attributes, and more.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Cool info but the capturing mechanic seems pretty cheap, hopefully it turns out better than it sounds.

20. Varnes454

Varnes454 Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I have actually acquired access to a title in discussion and will give a bit of a verdict when i get a chance

21. Kyndig

I have a beta invite as well, I know one other person who does too. Planning on checking it out at some point...SOE makes me nervous though.

22. Kyndig

So, a few impressions after spending about 10 hours with Dragon's Prophecy (I will NOT refer to the game by it's initials, as I know exactly where that will take this thread...).

First, CG and I have really been enjoying the game. The control scheme takes a lot of getting used to, but once you get it down it becomes second nature fast. That said, the dragon taming interface is...challenging, unless you've statted yourself right, took the dragon to low HP, and are near equal level. Overall though, it seems like a good game. One of the most interesting points: most of your skills don't come from your class. They come from the dragons you tame and train (fun note, training involves training another dragon for your favorite dragon to eat to advance beyond a certain point).

Now, some downsides. Biggest one: this is CLEARLY a closed-beta level game at this point. To be honest I'd say it's closer to an alpha state, with a large percentage (I'd say 25%) of assets having placeholder names, and the animations are rough as hell at certain points. Graphics have a tendency to not show on screen, even if they'll stop you; invisible walls and obstacles get in your way; character creation options are, in a few cases, missing; no voice work whatsoever is present. My biggest complaint, however, is that the game has a LOT of fairly complex systems, and they're never explained in any way. Once you figure them out, not so bad, but until then you're left guessing.

From a kinda neutral standpoint, this is a free to play game. So, they have to make money somewhere, and it is, of course, with microtransactions. Resurecting in place instead of reviving at a spawn point costs station cash (about 20 cents worth, I think - though, I would guess there's a skill that resurects people available from some of the dragons in the game), expanding your dragon inventory and stable costs, etc. You unlock an extra row of inventory at levels 10 and 20, or you can buy them right away; you can set 5 hours of training for your dragons, or pay per hour to set it up to 24 hours. There's a bunch of stuff like that. It isn't pay to win, but god do they make you want to spend those tiny, tiny amounts of money all over the place (even if you can't right now in the CBT), and they do a VERY good job of it.

Overall though, I think I'll be sticking with this one through launch, at least to see where it goes. The gameplay's good, the ideas are good, the graphics are decent (especially for a free-to-play). I just hope to god they take the time to get their shit in order before launch.

All that said, if you get into the beta and like the game enough to want to play it at launch, I would HIGHLY suggest getting one of the packages available. You WILL want to spend that cash in game, and getting those packages not only gives you a bunch of SOE currency, but also gives you a bunch of stuff you'd pay that currency for anyway eventually.

Long story short, good game. I'll be setting up a Tenacious chapter in CBT for anyone who cares to join within the next day or two (if you're in the beta, it costs 10k to set up a guild, so anyone who cares to donate...); at this point, I don't think we should consider it an official, major chapter and set up a forum for it or anything like that, but I figure it'd be nice to have somewhere for anyone interested to hang out, advertise the guild, etc.

23. Kyndig

After spending another day with the game, all I have to add is getting flying mounts at level 13-ish is AWESOME.

24. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

Thank you for the reviews ... sounds interesting enough. Since Kyndig has indicated that he will start an official Tenacious Chapter, we will make a game specific forum in our Active Games forum menu and move this thread there.

25. Kyndig

I'm not sure I'd call it an official chapter yet - for one thing, everything's being wiped every 2 weeks or so right now (most recent was Monday). I'm just creating the guild for ease of creating groups (slash commands don't work worth a damn for some reason - you can't /invite for party, etc.). For another, I know I'm only planning on playing this until Wildstar releases - it's a time filler, really. And that's assuming Microsoft doesn't announce that the new xbox is coming out next month and Destiny is launching with it...

26. Aluenna

Aluenna Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

Tingle was telling me about this, it seems kind of cool. Are there healing, tanking, control types of dragons or is it just all deeps all the time?

27. Kyndig

Well....kinda both? Some dragons are better at various roles, and have a higher chance to have certain skills, both their own and the ones they give you. However, dragon skills are essentially totally random - for instance, last night I spent an hour grinding dragon caps to get a flying dragon with Angel's Embrace (a pbaoe hot you use, not the dragon) because my healing skill dragon was busy training; no luck, but I discovered half a dozen new nifty skills I didn't know existed (like a taunt, a 30% damage reduction skill, a stun/damage, and a lot of aoe dps skills)...then got one with the skill I wanted first thing this morning in one capture. Now, if I could just get a taunt on my tank instead of my damned sorceress....

Note for anyone who plays: currently I'm running on the southwest starting area (can't remember the name), so you might want to start there. My solo toon at the moment is named Nimue, and the guild is set up. However I will be out of town for the next few days...

28. Aluenna

Aluenna Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

Sounds interesting!

29. Tamirat

Tamirat Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Hm..I'll give it a try I guess. So many MMO's I barely play. x_X

30. Kyndig

I'll be back on a little later today. Could someone set up a guild mumble channel for Dragon's Prophet? I think my permissions were reset when I had to have my cert deleted when I got my new computer a few months back.

31. Kyndig

OK, ladies and gentlemen. We have a Tenacious guild in Dragon's Prophet. For anyone who is playing in the current beta, it is led by Nimue (my ranger solo toon who I'm on most of the day). If you put in an application (which you can do at the tavern in the second city on either continent - I am on the SE continent myself, but you can swap between them at said second city), please include your forum/mumble/whatever name I'll recognize. I will be in the guild mumble when I'm on, in the Dragons Prophet channel. If you would like a direct invite, catch me there or /w Nimue or Kyndig in game. Currently Canniballady and Oniaminka also have invite rights - I've set it so anybody above recruit level can send an invite. Right now the major reason to guild up is party invites...whoever decided the /invite command shouldn't be in this game needs shot.

A few notes on the game: the most recent build, implemented last Monday (5/14, I think), upped the difficulty a LOT. It also fixed some of my biggest complaints regarding invisible terrain/features/etc. One of the difficulty issues (the fact that EVERY DAMN MOB has a knockdown and spams it) is supposedly being fixed in the next build, which I would guess is coming out around the very end of May or early June.

Warnings and important notes: nothing you do now will go into the live game. This game is in beta, but it's worth being a tester on if you can deal with it and are willing to give feedback and report bugs (in theory anyway...my confidence in SOE is not really all that high but, here's hoping). I expect the next wipe to happen with the next build. As a rule, you need to create a character within 36 hours of a new build to get the free beta station cash infusion they give with each new build - that will allow you to expand your dragon inventory and do a bunch of other stuff.

Further, don't worry too much about which class you pick. Your role is determined more by the dragon skills you pick up. Guardians make better tanks than sorcs, but with the right skills, anyone can do it. If you're going to solo, at least in this build, pick Ranger. They can stun lock the CRAP out of things.

Also, for dragon capping in the early game...well, just contact me. If we wind up having a major chapter here, I'll write a tips and tricks guide but for now, you don't want 10 pages of text I could teach you in 5 minutes in game.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
  32. Killington

Sadly the game has a long way to go before its ready imo. A lot of the cutscenes have words mixed up between the voice overs and the subtitles(and even contradicting voice lines). The dragon capture "mini game" is lame. The combat is very slow and boring so far, I am only level 6 and I know combat usually gets more fun once you get a little higher level, but damn. The combat also seems way too easy, I was soloing level 13+ mobs on my level 6 sorcerer with no problems at all. No health potions needed. I couldn't set the game to the right resolution because whenever I changed it all of the ui pieces would fly off the corners of the screen, and I didn't have any luck finding a way to scale or arrange the ui. And unless you like making really derpy looking characters, the character creation is ok at best.

Guess it's back to minecraft for me until Wildstar launches!

33. Thermopyle

Thermopyle Penultimate Oligochaeta Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

SirBugsy shouldn't be so angry. I mean, I get the homicidal clown but roid rage from a bunny is just wrong.

34. Killington

Bugsy got on the homicidal clown's bad side and it didn't end well for him. Now homicidal clown is running the show.

Homicidal clown would kill for a good new MMO to be released - and apple pie.