Current Interest

Discussion in 'Blade & Soul' started by Zeklomontu, Dec 23, 2015.

?

Playing?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

37.5%
  3. Maybe

29.2%
  1. Zeklomontu

Zeklomontu Here to help Legendary Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

Now that Black Desert CBT1 has passed and people have gotten hyped for that(myself included), and with the release less than a month away, I wanted to get an idea for the current interest for Blade and Soul. Just curious at this point.

I really only plan on hitting max level and then doing 1v1 arenas, unless there are a couple others interested in doing 3s though that is looking unlikely at the moment.

Anyone else gonna be playing, at least while waiting for Black Desert?

2. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I'll be playing once it's released, it was fun, but I won't be serious, BDO will consume me :)

3. Apnea

Apnea Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

I'm playing while waiting for BDO to consume my soul. I've played the betas and enjoyed them though the game doesn't have the same pull for me as BDO does.

4. Averie

Averie Averie#1956 - Add me! Website Administrator Mythic Gamer Veteran Member

BDO may not be released until late Q1 for all we know at this point. Which could mean March.
    B&S will be out 2 months before that. 2 months is still a decent amount of time to get into a game for those interested in both.
    You don't necessarily have to pick and choose, especially since B&S is f2p :)

5. Kinson

Kinson Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

As originally planned, I will be playing at release and am down for 3s. The only change on my end is I've dumped my founders pack.

6. Proof

Proof Conceited Cupcake Bastard Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Pretty much same thing here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. Telhra

Telhra Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Black Desert Looks to be getting most of my free time attention I can give to gaming but I have been watching this game and wishing it was in NA for a long time now.. Will be playing it some for sure, will start when free players can start up and will probably get the "premium membership" for a month or two as I see how much time I an actually spend on it mixed with BDO (when it goes live that is). Until then, looking forward to B&S (finally)!

8. Proof

Proof Conceited Cupcake Bastard Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

BDO will have no subscription, only a B2P model with cash shop (no actual data on that, stated to be cosmetic only). Think GW2 and that's what BDO is adopting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. Averie

Averie Averie#1956 - Add me! Website Administrator Mythic Gamer Veteran Member

I think @Telhra is talking about B&S, Proofie.

10. Telhra

Yes, what Averie stated. Just basing this off their link that shows the different pre-purchase options and what they entail. I know it is a F2P game but guessing it will be more like Wildstar or TERA where, if you pay some $ monthly, your experience is a bit better (leveling speed, cash drops, etc.). I actually caved last night and pre-purchased the 2nd tier anyway lol.

11. CrimsonEclipse

CrimsonEclipse You Jelly Bruh? Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I don't know, I might mess around in it but not sure how involved I will get at this point. Looks fun though, so I am def gonna try it out at least.

12. Dovi

Dovi Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I was hyped for Black Desert and ignored Blade and Soul, then I read about the problems with Black Desert and actually got into Blade and Soul. I've flipped, definitely playing it and I'll continue to keep a close eye on Black Desert.

There is a reason why B&S is in the top 10 most played games in Korea on pretty much every list and I sometimes have a hard time finding Black Desert in even top 20's. Game has issues and I've made the mistake of fully committing to mmo's with big hidden flaws.

Edit : Not a fan of B&S.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  13. Kinson

Part of the mass appeal of B&S is 1v1 and 3v3 PvP is built for e-sport. I'll be playing B&S at release to pass the time and will probably play here and there in 3s, if possible.

14. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

Sinister Swarm is in the process of choosing the launch server, which they will do by Thursday. They would like to coordinate with us, though we don't have an official chapter. From what I am reading, there are only a few players planning on playing B&S as their 'main' and several players that will play it as a 'filler'.

While we'll surely coordinate launch servers, are there enough players that will main B&S that they will want to coordinate alliance efforts and/or united guilds?

15. Telhra

Cool, I was wondering today what server people might be starting on. Watching a lot of vids the past week on B&S. It is more complete than I was thinking for some reason and the PVP looks very cool, fairly balanced and I like the normalization it will offer.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  16. Zeklomontu

Zeklomontu Here to help Legendary Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

Just as a heads up, don't expect balanced pvp at the beginning. The NA version has a max level of only 45, however they are using a balancing patch for level 50. So, health is too low and damage is too high for level 45. So there may be some issues at launch. Hopefully it's fixed quickly.

17. Telhra

Gotcha, I don't think any game is perfect but this seemed to be closer than some in that regard.

18. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

There doesn't seem to be a very large membership playing this game as their 'main'. It will remain an unsanctioned game that can be played casually ... and any members wishing for a more structured and organized guild experience have been invited to join our Allies at Sinister Swarm for Blade & Soul. They will be rolling the Red faction on a server to be named tomorrow, which I will post here.

The lead for the SS Chapter is Sweetandeasy

JamesGoblin, Telhra and Averie like this.
  19. Zeklomontu

Thanks @Paradigm. I've looked at their recruitment post a bit. I'll probably roll on their server just in case I want to do anything besides arena.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

20. Kinson

Same.

21. LoanWolf

LoanWolf Rangers > Berzerkers Honored Mythic Gamer Legendary Gamer Ashes of Creation Chapter Lead WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Whats the first impressions so far?

22. Kinson

Honestly, I'm torn.

On the one hand I love the action combat. It is very satisfying and the counter system keeps everything interesting. (At least for KFM, it does). Yes, there are rotations, but most skills need to be activated by means of a combo. Some of those skills require a crit (or some other condition) first, so even your rotations change on the fly.

The world is underwhelming. Zones are instanced and very small, with mobs standing around waiting to be attacked. Add the basic kill/fetch quests and it feels like a regular old themepark MMO. The story brings you from quest hub to quest hub in a very linear fashion. Dungeons are meh. (To be fair, most games have garbage easymode low level dungeons.) To be honest, if it weren't for the fun combat system, the world would have lost me already.

The loot system is annoying. All weapons/accessories require you use a key, unsealing charm, or both. They can be crafted, so it's not a paywall issue. It's just a general annoyance. As far as I can tell most of it serves no purpose other than to upgrade your Hongmoon gear. It is just another very linear system.

I've been beating the queues lately, but spammers and bots are still everywhere. Not something I will be able to put up with for long periods of time.

Overall, I am happy I refunded my founder's pack back in December. The combat makes it a fun distraction, but nothing I'd be able to dedicate to myself as a main game. In all fairness, I haven't even touched on PvP just yet, mainly because I've been leveling as if it were a solo game. My ultimate goal was to hit max so I can do 3s. But getting there might take me a while since I find everything else so underwhelming.

JamesGoblin likes this.
  23. Zeklomontu

It depends on what you want out of the game. If you go in expecting fun pve, then don't bother. Honestly, the combat is fantastic but the levelling and all dungeons are garbage to mediocre at best. The world design in terms of quest objectives is awful, the mobs or items you need to collect are almost always too many for the number of mobs and the respawn timers are just dumb. If there is even one person in the area competing for a quest, it's going to take 2-3x longer than it should. The story is a bit interesting, and it isn't quite over yet. If it wasn't for the combat, I would have hated levelling entirely. Weapon upgrade is very linear as Kinson stated, you start with a hongmoon weapon, then give it experience by giving it weapons or certain gems until you hit lv 5 or 10, which you then need a specific weapon and a specific material to either breakthrough so you can get to 10, or so you upgrade your weapon to the next tier. You'll keep the same weapon all the way to max level pretty much.

However, if you are wanting a highly competitive, fun arena pvp game, then all that crap you have to go through levelling will be worth it. It's so intense and action packed, gets my heart racing every match. And while being max level has it's advantages due to more skills and skill points, once you hit around level 30, it becomes more about the skill of the player and how well they know the match up. Mistakes can be punished harshly since cc chains can last for a very long time. All stats are equalized so gear means nothing. You could go in with a broken weapon and you would have the same stats. 3s aren't what I expected at all. It's not a traditional 3v3. Instead, it's a tag match system. One person from each team goes in at a time. When you are in the sideline, you can assist 3 times for 5 seconds each, assuming you haven't died yet. Then you can tag in and out, I don't know exactly what the requirements for tagging in and out are, it's odd.

I haven't participated in open world pvp whatsoever, it's something that rarely interests me. I do like that you use costumes to choose the different factions and that's how you flag for pvp. But, from what I've seen and what I've heard on the short times in global chat, a lot of people just farm the faction npcs for the currency. Those that do actual open world pvp appear to be the normal gankers, small group pvpers.

From an overall perspective, the game is mediocre at best. NCSoft hasn't been helping the situation, being severely under prepared with servers, and spammers and bots run wild. Don't bother trying to read any global chat, it won't work out well. If pvp doesn't interest you, don't waste your time with the game unless you really, really want to experience the combat, though levelling is stupid easy if you have even a small understanding of your class and keep up with weapons and accessory upgrades.

This weekend I'll try to stream some 1v1s if I can so you can all get a look at how it is.

TL;DR

If the arena is what pulls you to this game, then I recommend it fully. Otherwise, don't really bother.

JamesGoblin and Kinson like this.
  24. Kinson

Solid review!

25. Monte

Monte Epic Gamer Epic Gamer Veteran Member

I am playing almost regularly at this time. Not a bad time killer at all. Combat is kinda fun, but the game does have some problems. Loot system... crafting really onside for making money... overworld pvp I'd realy just a zero PvE grind.

This along with xcom2 should hopefully gete to bdo release... I hope. Ben playing solo with random groups and can't wait to get back.into guild fun

JamesGoblin likes this.
  26. JamesGoblin

JamesGoblin Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer

I'd like it to be bit less co-opey and small scaley, and bit more MMOey (note the first "M").

Mendien and Hellis like this.
  27. Hellis

Hellis Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Best postey ever :p

JamesGoblin likes this.