Cartwheels for Kids / Hope for Caroline

Discussion in 'Causes' started by Kinson, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Kinson

Kinson Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Wasn't sure exactly where I wanted to put this thread, but I think this subforum is really the best place.

I've been very busy lately and away from heavy activity, but I just had to share this as I know how big a heart Tenacious members tend to have. This afternoon my 6 year old participated in the Cartwheels for Kids fundraising event at her gym. First, a little background.

http://www.cartwheelsforkids.org/

ABOUT THE CARTWHEELS FOR KIDS EVENT

The Hope For Caroline Foundation working with our sponsors is going for the World Record for the most people simultaneously performing a cartwheel. Last year we tried and came up short by under 50 people. While a little disappointed we never allowed this to get us down; we knew we would do it again. Our rematch with the record book is coming on September 17, 2016 which is National Gymnastics Day.

This year like last, we are looking for pledges to support furthering research for DIPG (Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma), a malignant tumor that effects children. Along with breaking the record for cartwheeling, we want to also help further research to find a cure for this fatal disease.

To help get the word out about the event we are partnering with some of the local businesses in the area as well as having a pledge contest for the most pledges. The top fundraisers will get VIP tickets to attend Kellogg’s Olympic Gymnasts Tour on November 13th in Boston!

http://www.hopeforcaroline.org/

Caroline, affectionately known as Calle, was a beautiful little 5 year-old girl full of life and love. She was happiest while dancing, singing Taylor Swift songs, doing gymnastics, drawing, and painting. She loved horses, princesses, dolls, her dog “Fluffy”, her faded pink blanket “Light B”, and her friends and family. She was her dad's princess, her mom's pride and joy, and her brother's best friend.

On November 15, 2012, Calle was diagnosed with DIPG, an inoperable malignant brain tumor with no known cure. Among the most deadly of pediatric cancers, DIPG has a survival rate of less than 2%, with most living only 9 to 12 months beyond diagnosis. Caroline earned her wings on July 18, 2013, less than 9 months after diagnosis.

Each year 150 to 200 families are devastated by this terrible disease. We are working to bring hope to these children and their families where today there is very little. Please join us in the fight against DIPG.

As of this moment I don't know how much money was raised overall, but my daughter and the hundreds of other participants who turned out for the event did succeed in breaking the Guinness World Record for most people doing a cartwheel at the same time. (I know, Guinness has world records for literally everything!)

Charlotte was very proud of herself. She doesn't yet fully grasp the seriousness of the illness that is the reason behind the event, but I'm sure she will as she gets older and continues to participate each year. Anyway, just wanted to share that with everyone. Next year when I don't have to keep an eye on my youngest, I will be doing a cartwheel as well! (And no, there won't be any pictures of my "attempt.")

2. josua

josua Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

@Kinson - thanks for sharing, and great on you for encouraging your daughter to participate. It is amazing to see children getting involved in something much bigger than themselves. When the light goes on, and she fully understands what she is supporting, it will be great for her.

Serenaelia likes this.