Build Log: Lucid-X

Discussion in 'Tech Support & Showroom' started by Paradigm, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

So, build log #2 ...

It's been a while since my last major build, back in 2015 (Project Phoenix) which you can see HERE

Lately, I've gotten really into open air designs. My gaming room is well ventilated and isolated, so I really don't worry about dust much, and while open air is louder, it's not really noticeable when you're on headphones all of the time. Modern motherboards regulate the fan speeds to the CPU and GPU load, so it's not constant. I just really love the look and the design flexibility of open air.

I recently built an open air Ryzen system, but it's air cooled and nothing complex. The whole thing took less than an hour to put together, but I am happy with it. It's something I can safely move easily and fool around with. A few days ago, I used it to practice glass etching. You can see that HERE

----------------------------------------------

Lucid-X will be a bit extreme, and I expect the build to take the better part of the rest of this year. I'm going to get a lot more detailed on the modding aspect of this one, including cutting and etching acrylic, etching glass, cutting and modifying the structural panels and drilling water loop holes. I'm also going to do some custom paint work on alternating panels. Because of the industry I've been in for 25 years (auto dealerships), I have access to professional body shops and paint booths. I'm not going to do the actual painting because it's powder coating and I don't have a baking booth that will heat to 400°, so I'll get that part done by a local powder coating shop.

I'm going to build in a Raijintek Enyo open air case. It's literally the biggest open air case I've ever seen. The thing is massive. It's shipped modular, which is perfect since I won't have to disassemble it for modifications. I'll post pictures below, but the case is quite unique in that it's a 360° display design, with both the front of the case and the rear available for visuals. Cable management is actually located in the middle, hidden in between the two interior panels. It's quite genius.

The case can accommodate the largest EATX motherboards (the largest of which I'll be using), 4 water loops, 2 PSU's, five (5) 480mm radiators and 23 case fans. It really an open canvas for watercooling. I plan on having a lot of fun with the design.

Custom paint wise, I'll be powder-coating the interior two panels and the top and front radiator shrouds in Prismatic Illusion Orange. I may do the case screws and posts as well but i haven't decided yet.

I plan on building it with the new ASUS Dominus EATX mobo, an i9 9900k, dual RTX 2080ti GPU's in SLI thru NVLink and 2 closed water loops. I'll add more detail on the components as I progress along, but for now ... I'll just focus on the unboxing of my new Raijintek Enyo, which arrived a few days ago ...

20190620_120835.jpg

20190620_121529.jpg

20190624_165544.jpg

20190624_165601.jpg

20190624_165652.jpg

20190624_165703.jpg

20190624_165906.jpg

20190624_165935.jpg

Enyo 1.jpg

Enyo 2.jpg

Enyo 3.jpg

More to come .....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Zorph, Averie, Within and 2 others like this.
  2. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Sick looking case, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would watch the crap out of a video if you decided to film this process.

AmazonCheesecake and Mishi like this.
  3. Mishi

Mishi Tenacious Gamer Epic Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Chapter Lead

Yass! Best idea!

Para, Kat is right :D
    I'd love to see a video of it!!!

4. Kimmz

Kimmz Akita....Aka Kimmz Tenacious Gamer

Nice project looking forward to seeing more updates as you go forward it should be 1 sick gaming puter when your set.

5. Within

Within Legendary Gamer Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

The case, by itself, looks incredible. I think I see a flux capacitor in that picture you posted. It will seem sort of silly sitting in the middle of your room, but I don't know how else you do it justice.

I am looking forward to your updates!

AmazonCheesecake and Mishi like this.
  6. Qigang

Qigang Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet. Tenacious Gamer

My only concerns with an open air case are the things that can just wildly get stuck inside or on top of rather important components like fans and the motherboard, which sounds risky to me. Mind you, I have 0 experience with this and therefore this is just wild speculation to me.

7. Mishi

Yeah I have a cat, ain't any way I could dream of having an open air one, just on that fact alone. So I am very jealous of Para right now.

AmazonCheesecake likes this.
  8. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

It's kind of like owning a convertible. Sooner or later, a bug will fly into your mouth.

AmazonCheesecake likes this.
  9. Qigang

Yes, but there is a big difference between those two. You don't seem to have a filter or protection of any sorts in front of the build as to be guessed from the images.

All I am saying is that I think there could be a risk involved, whether you accept the risk or not is up to you.

10. Paradigm

Yeah, I'm totally fine with risk, simply based on where I know it will be at all times. My gaming room is pretty isolated, in that it's my gaming room and there's no other foot traffic or purpose for the room. It doesn't double as anything else, so it stays very clean and sanitized, air conditioned and bug free. If anything were to fly into this case, it would be the shrapnel of something else in the room breaking.

But yeah, all good rewards come with a certain amount of risk. There are glass panels for the fan shrouds and the front and rear of the case, I just don't plan on using them

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Qigang and Mishi like this.
  11. AmazonCheesecake

AmazonCheesecake "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow" Legendary Gamer ArcheAge Unchained Officer Veteran Member

Ooh, I once again get to live vicariously through your build. :D

Mishi likes this.
  12. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

This +1

Mishi likes this.
  13. Paradigm

Got the panels back from the powder coaters today. I think they did a great job. The metal flake and shine in this procedure really shows through this vibrant orange.

What I'll do next this weekend is 'splatter paint' them in black ... creating a black splatter on the orange background.

I'll post pictures of that process probably this weekend on Sunday.

20190716_120417.jpg

20190716_120429.jpg

20190716_120526.jpg

20190716_120532.jpg

20190716_120933.jpg

20190716_121511.jpg

20190716_121523.jpg

Mishi, Kimmz and Within like this.
  14. Qigang

Para going all in on this. I must admit I admire your work ethic to getting this project to where your vision sees the build complete.

15. Kimmz

Kimmz Akita....Aka Kimmz Tenacious Gamer

Looks good powder coating is very strong and durable as well sharp color looking forward to seeing you progress cheers on a excellent project.

16. Mishi

I'm loving it so far, and can't wait to see more! Go Para Go!

17. Vrico

Vrico Tenacious Gamer

This build is looking epic so far Para. Keep on posting pictures as it progresses. Going to be one heck of a rig when its all done.

18. Paradigm

Well, I finally got back home from a year of mostly traveling, so started putting this thing together last night. I haven't put all the little brackets on yet, but the main build turned out with just about the balance of orange and black that I was looking for. I was originally going to splatter paint the radiator shrouds, but I kind of like the orange powder coating effect.

The other case is a Coolman Beast ... a project I'll call Void Cube that I'll be working on at the same time.

Parts will trickle in over the next couple of weeks. I'm in no rush on Lucid, I'm going to take my time and plan the two closed water loops before I start assembling. It will be nice to build into an open air design with freedom of movement and space.

More updates to follow ...

rsz_20200305_221014.jpg

rsz_20200305_221023.jpg

rsz_20200305_221030.jpg

rsz_20200305_221038.jpg

rsz_20200305_221045.jpg

Zorph and Within like this.
  19. Averie

Averie Averie#1956 - Add me! Website Administrator Mythic Gamer Veteran Member

Fancyyy. Are you painting the rest of it orange?