Ascent: Infinite Realm TH beta

Discussion in 'Other Upcoming Games' started by Wish, May 6, 2019.

1. Wish

Wish \( ´ ♡`)/ Epic Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

TH AIR website: https://air.playpark.com/th-th/
    AIR Guide, Class skills n stuff: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N2xm65Zaji4XYMAhGOctXb5v4iEYJGvPNAAELcnCWaM/edit?usp=sharing

Been playing the TH beta, it's been surprisingly good? Optimization seems decent and I'm not having many lag issues which is shocking considering how terrible my internet is haha. You do need a vpn to play, most peeps have been using exitlag. I was expecting frame rate issues cause a lot of the trailers and stuff were AWFUL but it seems fine in game so idk

Overall I'd say it looks pretty decent for being on unreal 3, much better than the other garbage I've seen released on it lately. The combat is action mode with a slight aim assist (I've been told it's sort of like blade and soul??? but I have no idea) and it doesn't feel clunky or anything. There's two stance modes that you switch and it seems pretty cool so far. I'm currently playing mystic so my two stances are dps and heal. I feel like the combat would be a little more smooth if I wasn't trying to learn my skills with stuff people basically translated on google haha

As far as aerial combat goes, it pretty much feels like ground combat, but..... in the air. The movement is obviously slightly different but it seems like the mounts can stay in flight for extreme amounts of time, and you can use stamina pots to recover too. I've only run into a little bit of the vehicle/mech stuff but it was pretty cool and easy to use.

Gliding is super fun! And as far as I can tell there's no limit on how long you can glide for. You can also 'jump' height with a little mini game while gliding to gain elevation.

Haven't done much in the way of party play and I think I JUST unlocked pvp so I'm not sure how that is yet. There's a solo dungeon at 7 and then something at 21. Looks like most of it starts post 30, which from what I've read is when the 'tutorial', so to speak, ends.

The maps seem super big (compared to some stuff maybe not HUGE but they're TALL AF, that Z axis is pretty wild) but with all the background sky shit it seems much bigger. Also it looks super cool lmao

I feel like once they fix the english patch that's been floating around I'll be able to understand what I'm doing a bit more, right now its just a guessing game :joy:

Honestly I think the only thing that REALLY bothers me is there's like...an account name, and a character name. idk if its supposed to be a family name or if you can hide it but I hate it lol. That and the weird screen effect that I assume is supposed to represent reliving a memory or something but....with no story context, its hard to say. There's a lot of strange screen filters at different elevations too, but I think that also might be a zone transition thing, it's not terrible tho. The story instance barrier effect is also SUPER obnoxious.

I feel like this game has a lot of potential with the airship battles and gvg stuff. Hell even world boss raids...I've fought some pretty big stuff but not like...ridiculous stuff yet

Screenies (I have no idea how to hide the UI and I'm not entirely sure what my graphics settings are one so... 8D yeah)
    [​IMG]
    lot's of broken looking islands, idk what its about cause I don't understand the story at all lmao
    [​IMG]
    starting zone (one of many) with a cool keep thing
    [​IMG]
    this is the airship that the main (starter??? idk) city is on...it's pretty damn big, this is just the front. I couldn't get a good shot though cause of the atmospheric effects if you get too far away
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is when i realized there is actually a glide boost mini game...I still have no idea what the bar does but I assume you aim for the middle :joy: the basic wings are like mech feathers but the second one is all feathery and cool
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more of the city
    [​IMG]
    lots of greenery so far...I like it, its a nice contrast to the ridiculous amounts of airships and mechs running around lmao
    [​IMG]
    this guy scared the shit out of me, went to fly up and all of a sudden he was like BAM. also I CAN LAND ON IT, i thought they'd be lazy and have you clip through but..no...I'm sitting on his back taking a cruise around the map LOL

I think tomorrow is the last day for this beta, not sure. I'll take some more pics and test stuff out tomorrow when the server goes back up. I think its like 5am to 3pm est or something

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Zorph likes this.
  2. stafoo

stafoo Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Chapter Lead

The steampunk aesthetic is pretty cool. Does the game have a western release at all?

3. Wish

Wish \( ´ ♡`)/ Epic Gamer Final Fantasy XIV Director Final Fantasy XIV Officer Veteran Member

@stafoo it's planned (https://www.airthegame.com/teaser) but there's no date yet that I'm aware of. I'm sure its coming soonish considering MOST of the people I'm seeing on the beta rn are westerners anyway