Archeage now and into the future....

Discussion in 'ArcheAge' started by Vanye, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Vanye

Vanye Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Ok, I know many people have been bitching about AA with the release of 1.2 because of all the changes that have been made. It seems like a total overhaul to the game and is a bit overwhelming, but personally I am excited about it. Yes, it will take time to adapt, but I would rather have to do it now then after the game is released. And it looks like we will not be far behind where Korea is at now. This makes me feel like we will have a bigger voice in how the game plays out in the future, maybe even have updates at the same pace as Korea.

Somebody posted on the Archeage forums info on the new Korean patch 1.7. OMG we have much to look forward to!! We are not far behind as far as what has been released on the world map. Currently they have everything that we can see now with the newest update, but I am sure they actually have access to that zone that just now appeared for us. There are 3 new zones released with 1.7. Two on the northern continent and and island area north of the western continent. And the map is still half empty for years of expansion. A new sea boss, a skateboard for travel, customizable ships, a new house. I am really excited!! Not to mention all the things that will be in game on release that we just have not been given access to in Alpha.

I hope everyone keeps the faith that this game will be a HUGE success on release and our guild will be big and powerful with many allies, and enemies I'm sure, and we will have years of fun in AA.

2. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Oh I'm definitely looking forward to release, :)

3. LiquidElectron

LiquidElectron Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

4. Altarian

Altarian Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

The game is so drastically different now. I have to relearn so much it's a little daunting.

My classes all changed.

EVERY single thing about crafting and recipes changed. Trade packs changed. I feel so lost

5. Monte

Monte Epic Gamer Epic Gamer Veteran Member

My big issue now... downtime... they changed the damn game to be like old WoW... one or 2 mob kills.. 1 or 2 minutes waiting for mana to regen... Water anybody?

6. Zawr

Zawr I'm the f**king Monarch! Loremaster Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

7. CenSaki

CenSaki Community Guest Tenacious Guest

I think there's enough reason to feel lost. The game changed drastically in a direction I don't feel is right. Even with the changes, I don't know if that would get the bad taste in my mouth out. I'm going to reserve my final judgement until Trion patches and adds its "westernizations". I just don't feel that good about this patch.

I think anyone that's played MMOs for more than a decade knows that when a developer makes stupid mistakes, they're very likely to continue doing the same boneheaded mistakes in the future. It's all about the bottom-line in making people spend more of their money to supplement some insane fantasy. I'm sure everyone here has fallen prey to it at some point, for various reasons. Let's just say all the good-will I had pretty much vanished over night.

Anyway, I'll be around long enough to plant my trees and pay taxes. As it stands now, I can't convince myself to keep playing. Hopefully they really do fix some of the issues with this patch, otherwise I'm going to jump ship. I know that sounds drastic but I've been burned way too many times. :-/

8. captainpost

captainpost Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Cen you might feel different once the game is live. The time in game and work put into live will not be for nothing. It will mean something because we won't have to worry about character wipes and the like.

I'm trying to keep hopeful. I paid 150 dollars for the Archeum pack. And I really don't want to have that money wasted on a game that changes so drastically after I already paid for a specific version. Some of the changes I can see as good. Others I can't.

I knew changes were coming but I just hope all these changes will make sense after some time. From the looks of some of the changes they are trying to make it harder to make gold and gilda which will be good to make the game last longer.

But the labor costs coupled with the change in mana usage makes it look like they want people to pay for mana/labor potions on the store. I really hope this isn't the case. I already plan on paying for patron after the first 3 months of my patron run out. I don't want to have to pay more to enjoy the game because I'm already paying.

But I am trying to stay positive but not naive as I've been in the past with other games.

9. Altarian

Altarian Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

True but look at crafting....making gilda harder to get and now you have added gilda breakdown requirements into crafting? Full sets of armor are going to require MASSIVE amounts of gilda and the RNG to different types when you unseal and ONLY ONE type can be advanced, it's just sillyness.

Wytch likes this.
  10. captainpost

I can see the problem. But they changed it in Korea because everyone had so much Gilda they needed a sink for it. But since we are fresh to the game I don't believe we needed the Gilda nerf. This is one of the things I'm on the fence about.

But this game is a Korean game. So grinding is almost expected. But here in the west we don't like the grind if it's not a guarantee. And the RNG elements of crafting could put people off. So I agree with you there.

11. Vanye

I like the ability to reforge your failures, so it isn't a complete waste of mats and time, but it seems odd to me that all reforging is under Machining. Why not make the reforging skill for whatever you made under the proficiency you used to make it in the first place?

12. CenSaki

CenSaki Community Guest Tenacious Guest

I simply liked how the vanilla version of this game was. Sure there was some silliness but it was so much more enjoyable. Now it's complicated in a needless manner.
    Also, I'm used to grinds but what they're proposing here is senseless. I rather go back to TERA than have to deal another let-down of a game. Sandbox features are cool but they're not everything. It doesn't change the fact that XL fucked up their game with their 1.0 patch and simply failed to correct it with their 1.2 patch. It doesn't matter how many "cool" features a game has. If it plays like a relic and exists to frustrate you at every turn, it's not worth playing.

I'm not an unreasonable person. I'm going to give them time to improve their train-wreck of a game. But I also know when a game isn't for me and as it stands now it is so not for me.

13. LiquidElectron

LiquidElectron Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

All I did was formulate a new plan, after my initial bad reaction to everything, I had a sit-down-think session with...myself. For example, in live I wanted to fish, farm, and gather. Which is still perfectly viable. Look at it this way, I played a month of Alpha so far with the original 'patch'. I had reached something like 22k gathering, 19k farming and barely started fishing but was sitting pretty at 11k after only three real fishing outings. In one month, that's kind of a lot of skill gains.

Obviously, Trion and XL are going to want people to play longer, hence the labor changes, and the lower labor cost of farming, and the new scarcity of Gilda Stars. I mean, most of us in June had nearly everything we really needed, one of us had a sub, most of us had clippers and galleons, Mirage horses, some of us had houses, furnishings, aquafarms, beach bungalows, even Kat had a farm wagon, and one guildie had a fishing boat. A few people had 50,000 proficiency in a skill or two. And they were bored already.

All the changes point in one direction and down that road it is 'this is going to take a long time'. Even though the 90k skill limits will be brought back down to 50k again, it will still take a lot longer than it did. Hence the guild members dedicated to one, two, or three crafts. I personally will continue farming, gathering and working on fishing, and it will take forever, and I probably won't mind. I played World of Warcraft off and on for almost ten years, I can handle a lot of game time. And when I run out of labor? No worries, I will just take a day off or so. It will make for a nice break in there to do something else (like build more Star Trek models!). (Or other games.)

I can't really complain about the classes and the combat skills, as they actually made Lenala way tougher. (Archery, shadowplay, auramancy). I was able to pick all the skills I had before and they were all basically the same. Except I have twice as much health now. I also have good reason to skip the next Alpha build and the two Beta builds, and wait for Live. Mostly because I have 1) a stupid download cap and 2) more understanding of the direction they are leading us in.

I mean heck, anyone that dropped the $150 to be playing right now is going to have three free months of Patron status and a four day headstart to play with, not to mention the free cash shop credits. It won't be that bad at all, I don't think. Like I said before...Don't Panic.

Shiala likes this.
  14. Shaz

Shaz Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

This is why I never got too attached in Alpha lol. I knew something like this could happen. I mean, I like just casually playing and getting in-game once in a while and having fun, not having huge amounts of purpose or goals set out in a game which is still in testing.

I'm sure we'll be fine, just keep adapting, but remember not too get too indulged. Experiences are everything for launch, so try different things.

Termintor likes this.
  15. Proof

Proof Conceited Cupcake Bastard Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

I'm not worried about the patch at all. They gave us 1.2 without westernization changes. With our input, they'll break the patch down into what has been well-received and what has been hated. They'll use that information for beta and release.

This isn't the end of the world. This is an Alpha. Sure we paid for it, but lets put it into perspective. $75 cash shop credits + 3 months patron (~$45) = $120. The other $30 was for Alpha, and all the in-game goodies we get at release.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Shiala likes this.
  16. Within

Within Legendary Gamer Legendary Gamer Veteran Member

Great post Liquid! Just what I needed. I am 100% with you about this.

I may have to rethink using a Spellsinger build, but they just introduced a ton of new content that will be fun to learn when it goes live. If we are lucky Trion will get rid of some of the grindy Korean mechanics sooner rather than later and we can have a fall launch.

17. captainpost

I have been reading a lot of the forum post on the Archeage site. I am seeing a bunch of complaints about farming, crafting and labor problems. Can anyone confirm they have made it almost impossible to farm efficiently with this new build? People are saying it is far more grindy to farm, make seed bundles and do anything with crafting. Is this true?

18. Peppermint

Peppermint Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Like I said before, I don't care much about the class changes, I did not experiences them enough to go "Omg my build is nerfed,"
    But I did realized very quickly that I was going oom in no time. That scares me a lot since I want to play a cleric at release and from experience I know healers gobble mana like there is no tomorrow (unless in AA it's totally different).
    Still not happy that fish are worth nothing on the vendor, going from 33 silver for a blue to 3 silver is too harsh.

For the trade runs, I looked and tested and I'm satisfied with the change. Making combine feed and ground grains is not hard and the silly recipes with dried flowers and chopped veggies and fruits may be silly but they are not hard to make. Just gathering as I explore or look out for trees/stone in the wild, I find those mats, no need to grow them lol. Gildas being harder to get is a pain but if we are organized and make caravans etc it will be fine I guess.

I'm looking forward to release, I have time to play, but I fear many will leave because of the grind.

oh, forgot to say: why the heck labor is account wide? I can't even go have fun on an alt lets say of other faction for a change because I'll still be out of labor on said alt :( I mean, alt on another server not the same.

19. Vanye

I wouldn't say it is impossible to farm efficiently, but I am only a casual farmer. The only thing that has affected me is I can no longer make seed bundles because you need a minimum of 15k farming skill and I can't make a chicken coop because you need 10k husbandry.

I personally don't have issues with this because I don't think everyone should be capable of growing and raising whatever they want in large quantities just a few days into the game. It takes more time to lvl stuff up, but that will extend the life of the game.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

20. Proof

Proof Conceited Cupcake Bastard Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Food buffs have been buffed by a huge margin. They now last through combat and are easy to use as well. One food/mana buff (30 second duration) will leave you full while killing 3-6 mobs depending on your damage. They removed the in-combat regen from spirit, but to counteract that, they added more equipment with +health/mana regen.

I may actually pick up cooking at release so I can make my own mana regen buffs.

21. captainpost

I just wish they would explain why they are doing some of these changes. If they explained why and gave reasons it would at least look like they are trying to communicate how these thing would better the game. But we never get an explanation. And if the reason is just to make the game last longer then that means it will most likely be boring and tedious and lose customers. The way to make a game better is to add things to it not take things away or slow things down.

22. Peppermint

Peppermint Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

For the mana issue, I understand they are trying to make cooking a really useful profession, all good with me! I always picked cooking as a secondary craft in many games I played and to see it being useful instead of just adding more stats without seeing much of a difference anyway = happy. I'll just try to see if I can make a synergy between what I need to grow for trade runs and cooking for mana.

23. Proof

Although they had to slow some things down. People had the Black Pearl less than 1 month into the game. That boat is supposed to be long-term goal. The only thing I don't agree with is the change to Gilda stars. But that was mainly for KR servers where the players had WAY too many of them and they need a gilda star sink. I can already assume that the gilda star change will be receiving modifications during the westernization of the patch.

24. captainpost

But in order to make cooking useful did they have to nerf the rest of the game?

1: Fishing is almost useless now. Selling fish has dropped from 33 silver to 3 from the vendors. Plus in order to get worms to fish by making bundles you need 15K in farming.

2: Mana is now really slow to regen making food almost a must have instead of a choice.
    They took away the ability to use the instruments fast enough to regen mana at a decent rate.

3: And adding Toughness for armor to be used in pvp makes no sense. That means people will have pve sets and pvp sets. Again more grinding less fun.

I'm struggling here to understand these new changes that seem to only try to make the game "last longer" without any additions to make it more fun. And aren't all these changes the same ones that made people leave the Korean version and start playing the russian and NA versions?

Help me folks I'm losing faith in this game very fast.

25. Proof

They've already stated that the patch they put into Alpha was WITHOUT westernization changes. There is absolutely no need to lose faith. They are taking our feedback and putting it into when beta comes out, and eventually, release.

As for toughness, I personally don't mind it. I can see why people do not like the idea though. I've always viewed it from a role-playing perspective: that person has gone out and warred against the enemy faction often enough to learn the tricks of battling another skilled opponent.

26. captainpost

Yes they said there was more westernization patches coming with Beta. But they haven't said what is staying and what is being kept. That's what worries me. And as for Toughness, if the class builds are so unbalanced that they need to add something like that then they need to fix the class builds. Not just add toughness as a quick fix.

But you are right, they are not done with the game and we don't have the release version yet. So a lot can change hopefully. I just hope it changes in a more balanced direction. Balancing between fun and grinding to get what we want.

27. Vanye

Personally, I think the biggest issue here is that Trion does not have enough staff working on this game. I don't know how many exactly, but at the rate things are going, it seems Scapes and Amary are the only 2 people working on "westernizing" this game.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

28. captainpost

LOL It does seem like that at times doesn't it? I don't envy them at all.

29. Ashai

Ashai Ninja Kitty Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

As someone who played Korea pre 1.0 and stopped before 1.0 and have at least five or six guildies who still play KR while waiting for live. I can assure you this is in no means as horrible people think it is. For the most part. I can say for me most everything I knew was pre 1.0 , and there was so much ill harbor for 1.0 that all the changes that came in 1.2 (and more coming into from 1.3 here soon.) did a lot of great fixs to the game.

While understanding that yes Trion did say even on their stream and on their patch that what we would be getting is strait out of KR without the NA/EU changes to make it a game for us. It will be a little rough for now because I think TRION is well aware of what we won't like/won't deal with where a Korean player does.

If this game started with 1.2 I don't think there would have been so much of a shell shocker. But KR just got 1.2 not to long ago so if they waited we wouldn't had official alpha until now. So yes fact that this is a big change of the game and a overhaul it is daunting. But I wouldn't be too down about it. Its alot to soak back in its like your playing a new game.

But its forced more team/group oriantation and its made some professions need to team up, and more important then so in the past. And really it makes Farming/Trades/Crafting more important. As much as I don't like the whole thing with Alch I feel its kinda a good move and same with Cooking. Why that just means someone like me (as a 50k alchemist) I can team up with those who mainly focus on farming and item collecting and make a ton of the new nice pots and hand them out too guildies. Same with a Cook. Trade packs...I LOVE them now because of the options and the places you can go inland harbor good money now. The only thing I do think Trion should change is the amount of Crafting mats or Gilda given for going cross seas. (But I'm sure they are already aware of that.)

Husbandry is amazing now, with all the XP pens and Pens that give more materials then single planting. Yes its daunting with the level requirements for seed bundles and stuff but I would take it as goals or working with guildies. As yes this game is very team oriented. Linking hand and hands more so then ever.

For me yes Healing takes a hit, but adjusting to it and realizing there are better ways to get weapons (not just crafted now. Via materials that drop from Library Weapons & Library Costume is amazing!) . But once you re-adjust your build and pick up on the new items its not so bad. Its made me have to change my strategy as a healer not to be so dependent on spamming as a Templer /Caretaker or Cleric build. And not trying to face tank anything unless I am tanking as Templar and people healing me.

I would feel that things will be ok, once the changes come in (the patchs and Beta) that people will relax. Personally I cannot wait for 1.3 and the navel arena, the ship customizations, and the proper updates and new areas that unlock.

30. Monte

Monte Epic Gamer Epic Gamer Veteran Member

I really hope TRION can make the changes they need.

For testing, I really have get a new set of gear/weapons to really test out the stats. Waiting for the prices to come down before I start... I noticed Club's (New healer weapons) where selling for 250G two days ago.

Mana is a bitch now.... But I guess I will always have to have food on me. I also agree with class changes not being that bad. I can live with most of this

Gildar star thing didn't really bother me.. I don't need a boat, house or any of that decoration. I don't mind farming, but I just want to gather, kill mobs and PvP.

Now the huge grind they added. That kills me... I either have to grind for a ton of cash or a ton of gear. Either way, I need 6 sets of gear. For PvE, dps set, healer set and a tank set. I will need the same 3 for PvP set. I can't see myself grinding all that in alpha to have to do it again in live. Up to 4 more if I want a cloth dps/healing set and a plate dps/healing set.

So for now I will back away from alpha and play just enough to learn the changes and such. Still going to play live, we should have enough player base, alliances, to really have some fun in game. Trade runs, castle sieges, general PvP . For now I will keep myself occupied with some new single player game and also doing some wildstar with the guild.