Albion Online

Discussion in 'Other Upcoming Games' started by Mendien, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

ALPHA stage (oldest info is around Feb 2013 on the game)

I saw a shout from @Sinful today for this, so like any good err bad gamer I went to see if I could buy in...ugg. Well I have not yet, but it most definitely caught my eye.

The game as they put it, "truly cross platform". That is awesome!:
    Albion Online is the first truly cross-platform MMO experience, available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android, with all players on one master server in one massive, sprawling world. You choose how your adventure evolves; at home or on the go!

It has:
    Crafting, Housing, Farming, PvP

Seems based on an old Dev post, it is very PvP and GvG oriented.

https://albiononline.com/en/

2. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

The idea looks cool. Just not sure about the art style. The top down "rts " feel is what I'm hesitant about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Paradigm

Paradigm Bearded Pirate Instructor Website Administrator Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer WoW: Classic Heroic Gamer 2009 Original Member

Looks like Archeage with a higher placed camera angle :)

4. Mendien

Mendien I'm Uncle Mendien, come sit on my lap Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I'm ok with top down, I do like them, think Diablo, PoE etc.

Not so much AA, well in that there supposedly an anti zerg thing going on. Any MMO style game that has build your own housing, crafting, farming and fighting is good in my book!

5. Bortak

Bortak Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I got this game. Summer Alpha just began

6. Xanathas

Xanathas Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Does anyone still have any interest towards this title? The closed beta starts on the 23rd I believe. The combat looks quite vanilla but it might wind up being a nice game to play in the meantime.

7. Mendien

I do, have not been following though, is there a release date or open beta announced yet?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

8. apat

apat Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Nov 23rd you'll be able to play the beta if you've bought a founder's pack. From what I read about Albion, they won't be offering any free beta keys. That may change closer to release, though.

Feels like the ARPG is being mixed with MMOs recently. Played a bit of Devilian and the gameplay seems a bit similar.

9. Mendien

I'm not planning on buying in early, but after launch when I can watch some streams and see reviews, if it is what I expect I will be picking it up.

10. Zawr

Zawr I'm the f**king Monarch! Loremaster Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

Pretty much same here.

11. Xanathas

I've about had my fill of paying to be a alpha/beta tester as well. If they can spice combat up a little, it might wind up being a good game!

12. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Think I'm going to do the same. Very tempted to get the smallest pack but trying to resist. It seems they are doing a good job avoiding the p2w route. While you can buy gold to convert to silver ingame you still have to level up and skill up to use any items. So it's not like you can buy a ton of gold and have the best gear in week 1

Sent from my iPhone cause I'm an elitist jerk.

13. Shiala

Think I'm getting th small pack tonight so I can start playing tomorrow. Will let everyone know how it is. Reminds me of UO

14. Xanathas

Thanks dude. Let us know!

15. Zawr

Cool thanks for the invite to play with you. What a jerk. All those times I invited you to game with me too... Pffft.

Mendien likes this.
  16. Shiala

you said you were'nt going to!!! freaking girl i swear!!

if you're thinking of it just do it! It's interesting so far, total sandbox, no quests, no holding hands, have to figure everything out for yourself, you don't have to craft if you have some support from a guild, otherwise you can craft, and farm, raise animals, cook food, it's insane. Dungeons are a beast, a "4-5" man TIV dungeon actually needs about 10-15 peeps to clear it, but having fun so far. Would love to have company if anyone wants to join me.

17. Xanathas

How is the combat, Kat?

18. Shiala

Haven't done pvp yet. But it's fairly basic. Don't expect a lot of flashy combos and whatnot. You generally only have about 4 skills to use at any given time

19. Mendien

You are an elitest jerk...thanks for posting you are playing...did you not read I said I was going to hold off on the early access? Hopefully no one else is playing, so I won't go buy in early...

20. Shiala

It's not worth it honestly, as a mini game doing the farming/gathering/crafting is ok. The combat is just super basic, just not that fun of a game, save your money and buy into BDO :)

Mendien likes this.
  21. Mendien

Thanks chief! I'll do that then.

22. Zawr

Yeah, I was really looking into this as the next MMO I would jump into, but it just seems all to basic for me. I like the art style and a lot of their ideas, but it just seems like more of a game to play on my tablet while waiting for an appointment. In that regard, I'd likely enjoy it, but it's not something I plan to play seriously any longer.

Mendien likes this.
  23. Shiala

Exactly. It would be a fun time killer. But with no real game mechanics that would be like a normal mmo then it's just a glorified tablet game.

Mendien likes this.
  24. Xanathas

Thanks for the heads up. I figured as much; it looked neat other than the simplified combat.

25. Zawr

It's still a cool little game. I'm serious that it's something I'd love to play when I'm short on time or waiting for an appointment or whatever. The game looks legit, just not as something I'd play full time.

Shiala likes this.
  26. Storm

Storm Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

While waiting for my other "sandbox" game to emerge from an indefinite suspension, I decided buy into Albion at the lowest level (you can always upgrade if the game clicks for you). Current closed beta will probably run for three months - so a fair amount of time to evaluate it.

I will say up-front that this game feels grindy. It's another one of those "everything in the world is player-crafted" type games. I've only had the game for a few days, so still working on unlocking Tier 3 gathering & crafting.

I can understand why you feel the combat is simplified. In many regards, the combat resembles a MOBA. And so I actually end up decribing the game as a combination of EVE/MOBA/(and I hear Ultima Online as well, but I never played that one).

I saw the EVE comparison explained this way:
    And the comparison to MOBA (or even Diablo/Path of Exile) type games where you only have a handful of combat actions. In some ways I prefer that to the traditional MMO where I have 5 rows of actions and after taking a few days off don't seem to remember what half of the abilities do anymore. :confused:

And yes, it supposedly will work with tablets, which may in many cases indicates a lower quality MMO experience. But as a couple of you indicated, it may not be a bad option to take advantage of when you have 15-30 spare minutes.

So... bottom line - it's too early for me to close the books on this one yet. I scour the forums and read complaints about how the game gets in the higher tiers. I'm the kind of player that takes my time in the game, so I never rush through content to reach whatever end-game may be in store. I've only ever made it to one real end-game, and I find I lose interest quickly in running the same content/dungeons over and over. I'm a "it's the journey..." kind of player.

Next week, I'll dip my toes into the Yellow/Red zones. If anyone is interested, I'll post some additional thoughts aftee that.

Mendien and Zawr like this.
  27. Zawr

Awesome review, @Storm. I'd be interested in your dungeon experiences if you get to that point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Storm likes this.
  28. Mendien

Yes, agree, good review.

I'm interested again, I live MOBA style combat and like you @Storm hate the 3-5 rows of abilities. My brain can't handle that and I use 6-8 period.

Does the lowest level get access? Is the tablet part out?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

Storm likes this.
  29. Storm

Yes you can immediately start playing the closed beta. You also get 30 days of premium access which gives you increased resource output.

As far as tablet, I've read in the forums some success on Android tablets. iOS won't be available until release since App Store doesn't allow "beta" access.

30. Shiala

I was able to run a t4 dungeon with a group. The game says its for a party of 3-5 we went in with 20 and still had some issues. Partly due to mobs being stupid strong (many can one shot you easily) and partly due to poor healing mechanics and combat being extremely chaotic with 20 small characters around a single mob.

31. Anric

Anric Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I did have this on my list of interesting games. Sad to hear its not living up to expectations.

32. Storm

I just ran my first solo dungeon to see what that was like. It's in a safe green zone and labeled as solo. Truthfully, I had as much trouble fighting my way through the mobs to get to the dungeon as inside it. I'm in Tier 3 heavy armor and weapons, and only got below 50% health once. You do have to manage your spacing so you only pull one or two mobs at a time. I was fighting two when a third started attacking from top of a wall. I moved away from the wall to finish off the first two outside of the range of the third. I have one instant heal on my build, but starting to think I may need to add a quicker out-of-combat one to regen it quicker.

I also stuck my toe into my first yellow zone. It's Limited PvP where you have to flag yourself ahead of time before attacking another player. That supposedly takes about a minute, and you are rooted for that time. There is an indicator next to the mini-map that indicates how many Hostile players are in the specific zone. As it was zero, I walked further into the zone, passing by a couple of players. I saw the counter change to 1 and figured my tour was over. I made my way out of the zone, but got that feeling I first had in EVE when I ventured out of High-Security. So that's cool.

Zawr likes this.
  33. Xanathas

Thank you for your updates, Storm.

34. Storm

One last update: My second venture into a solo dungeon ended in rousing defeat. Made it all the way to the end boss, but he was a spellcaster, and I don't have the right skills to oppose (need at least one interrupt). There is a portal near the final boss to teleport you back to the dungeon entrance, so I was able to evade him a second time. I suffered further humiliation losing again and again to the mobs outside the dungeon as I tried to flee back to safety. Each time I got knocked down, the durability on my equipment suffered massive damage. By the time I made it back to the road, all of my equipment and weapons (and even my mount) were unusable. I then had to do the Walk of Shame back three zones in just my underwear.

But learning some valuable tips in the beta. Always carry two sets of armor and weapons. Also need to play around with different weapons (just crafted my first bow). There are definitely situations where different skills would come in handy (especially running solo) - interrupts, shields, longer range attack so I can pull an enemy away from the pack are some that come to mind. Also have to take a look at the Cooking branch so I can craft meals that will boost my stats.

I did make a decent amount of silver off of the two dungeons though.

35. Grimm

Grimm Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I was one of the original 12 people invited to the Round Table for Albion Online. The round table was an invite only group of people who contributed in some shape or form to the development of the game and whose input the developers actually looked at in depth. I've been in every test, including the private small batch invite only ones as well for this game and have actually crunched numbers and fine tuned their farming and cooking (including food replenishment for buildings) system as well as have been asked by Bercilak (Founder/CEO) multiple times if the numbers were ok. I was a member of Forsaken as well, while not the top guild in the game, we had 2 members on the round table when it initially came into existence due to us helping them out. I got burnt out over the past year basically doing a lot of the work for them (My GM always joked that I should be getting paid) on their farming and cooking system. I can actually say that every farming/cooking change that has happened since the second or third test has literally been done because of number crunching done on my part and then relaying it directly to Bercilak and the dev team. Bercilak even joins Forsaken in the guild at every test because we were usually the first ones to notice if something was fucky.

That being said, it's an okay game but they have a way to go and they listen way too much to the carebears that want to turn the game into basically a diablo with housing clone. I left Forsaken just last month actually due to not even having the will to log into their TS (I was an Officer as well). They are a good group of people and their game will probably be a success but the scope has changed so much since the original game was pitched/talked about that it's morphed into something that I no longer care about.

Storm likes this.
  36. Storm

Thanks for the information @Grimm. Sounds like you have a lot of detailed history about the game, and can certainly understand the burnout. I only started playing the beta 2 weeks ago, and already have 30 hours played in the game (in-between holiday events). So I'm still just learning the ropes. I do read the daily struggle of true hardcore vs carebear on the forums regularly. It's an age-old question that many games have to find the right balance in order to be successful. With it also still in Closed Beta, I want to minimize my burnout. So just trying to learn how all the different game components connect and feed each other. I'm sure it will continue to evolve, and hopefully it will find success at launch.

37. Anric

Anric Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I second the information being given out here. I had this on my radar, and if its turning out to be something else, I will let it disappear from said radar.

38. Xanathas

It has been awhile since we talked about Albion, and I am wondering if anyone is playing it during this final beta? I picked it up on a whim, and couldn't force myself to log in due to being addicted to HoTS but after about 3-4 hours I'm warming up to it.

39. Mendien

I didn't play much, never left the second area. I'll check it out again since it is close to done .

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

40. Shiala

Ditto